4th Gen Fairings....who has them??

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by LannyL81, Feb 14, 2022.

1. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    So had a low speed crash/dump today, went down on left side and of course broke several pieces. Does anyone here have a source or someone that has a collection of fairing pieces they would share??

I did just check ebay and nothing there in the three pieces I need.

Appreciate any leads.....my '97 was in such good condition....I am very sad.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Man, I'm so sorry! But I got some bad news for you... what you will find out there will be damaged to some extent. And still fairly expensive. If your pieces are not literally broken in pieces, better start planning for some bodywork. If they are "broke" as you say, keep looking for some "better" pieces on eBay to maybe get painted with less repair work.

If you do get lucky and find some nice stuff... serious $$$$$.

There is some fiberglass out there, but it will never look "factory".

Did you ever fancy a color change? Here's your chance.

Again, sorry. It sucks.

3. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I knew about the $$$$....along with the damaged pieces on ebay and the "racing" pieces from somewhere in Europe.

The left mid fairing is cracked in three places and the rear mounting bolt got completely punched-out, leaving a large hole.
    The left upper fairing that holds the headlight and left turn signal lens also is missing a piece such that the turn signal lens flops around...although did not break the lens or the air tunnel pieces. And I broke the windscreen...which was an aftermarket one and I can get that plus I still have the original screen.

Just the day before I was out riding, stopped at some neighbors on way home....and they were commenting on how nice my VFR looked, were quite surprised that it was 25 yrs old and still had all the original fairings with only a few scratches...not one broken mounting tab or screw/bolt pull-through!!

Cannot see riding a naked VFR.....just not me....and nice riding days are almost here......aaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  5. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Any experience with this ebay seller; cwc-carswantchange? They have a one piece headlight cowl and both side mid fairings.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    No experience, but I always thought the stuff from that seller "looked" decent.

7. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have emailed the seller asking for a "package" price for both sides, one-piece upper fairings; waiting to see if they come back.
    Found a windshield, also from Poland, different seller though.
    Will likely end-up getting these pieces....will update if I do.

The pieces at airtech are $$$ and require a lot of work.

I have the front fairings all removed.....had to put my cover over the VFR......pains me to see it in this condition.

8. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I have the front unit. The quality is good, fit is fair. The screws that hold on the small inside pieces are a different size than stock.

9. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Brian,
    Tell me more about why the fit is only fair, if you would. Where is the fit problems/issues?

Thanks

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    sorry for your pain, lanny, but you'll probably need to learn how to plastic weld your stuff back together or find a pro to do the job. it's difficult to think well after a tipover, but you need to pick up and save every last piece of broken plastic.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  11. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Nothing too bad but things like the turn signals are a really tight fit. I think I remember kind of pushing on parts to make the screw holes line up. I did not have to file or drill anything.

12. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Brian.
    The carswantschange replied to my email regarding a "package" price; couple of hundred less and combined shipping.

I have been looking at repairing; I can easily repair the crack/split in the left upper piece; but will require plastic filler to fill in all the deep scratches caused by the rocks/gravel that I went down on.
    The left mid fairing is split in two places plus the rear mounting hole got punched-out. I think I can repair the two splits, but the mounting hole....I have worked with it a little and have not been able to get it to go back into place yet; will require some filing. I am concerned that the hole will never hold-up and will crack due to being a stress point. Got nothing to lose except time though....

New question....the windscreen cracked, so I just want to replace it. I have found the Zero Gravity part numbers for the screens that fit, but gee....guess what....none available. Has anyone replaced the screen lately?....what did you use??

13. Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers New Member

United States
    Map
    I have '97 fairing bits. All of them, I think, except for one of the black inner fairing bits that I sold to a fella here.
    Some are scuffed up, some pretty good shape.
    I'm going to eventually (I'm slow) graft on some Airtech RC45 fairings, so the VFR fairings will not get used and I don't need them.
    I am just north of Austin. Don't want to bother with shipping them as I worry that they'll be destroyed in-transit.
    Brian

14. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Brian...thank you for the reply & offer. Understand about not wanting to try to ship these pieces, however, you are a good 12 hrs away....just too far for me.
    I am currently bidding on the pieces I need that are four hrs away....hope I get these.

Thanks again.

15. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Let's see....bid on the two pieces I need, got out-bided on both, one of them by ALOT!
    Went ahead and ordered new pieces from carswantschange out of Poland, expect them at the end of March...along with a windscreen.

Since I have time, I researched how to fix the fairings. I have used ABS glue in the past which works great by adding small pieces of ABS plastic to the joint.
    This time I thought I would try the Plastex kit. Been busy with my Dremel tool and using the Plastex kit. The "fixes" turned-out pretty darn good, just need to do alot of sanding and try to find the correct paint color and someone to do the painting as I do not have any spraying equipment.

As far as the paint, I found one site that listed the VFR as having three layers of epoxy paint; base, color, clear.....this is going to be expensive!

34468 Randy likes this.
  16. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Another update: I purchased and have received the upper and both side fairings from the ebay seller in Poland. Arrived in two boxes, not well packed at all, but all three pieces made the trip with only one scratch.
    Have test fitted the upper fairing several times, trying to get all the mounting points to all align, so far no-go. I think I will be able to adjust the side points, but have not really tried yet.
    I have been able to get the paint off the left mid fairing. Took me about five hours. Next will be the left upper piece.
    I will post some pics of the new pieces soon.

17. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Fucking packing for shipping. One of my biggest pet peeves. What the fuck do they think is happening? Floating over a goddamn rainbow to land in the middle of Victoria Secret pillow fight?

Every time I pack something I am thinking of the old Samsonite Gorilla commercials.

Doesn't take that much more time and materials to make the whole transaction better for everybody.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    No not use Plastix on any ABS plastic where there will be any stress or vibration. It will fail. I am about to re-repair a panel on my GS that was repaired by previous owner with Plastix. It went un-noticed when I bought the bike but a day ride along a forest service road and the repair failed. You have worked with ABS glue before, and that is what you should use. ABS glue actually chemically welds the two pieces of ABS plastic together so in theory, should be as good as original. But I like your idea of bolstering the repair with a backing of thin ABS plastic. It is readily available, and if not, buy a short piece of black plumbing ABS pipe and cut your piece.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think it is best to securely tape the parts to one side of the box you are sending it in. Things get broken from bouncing around inside the packaging. Then after you have secured it with duck tape or whatever tape you decude to use, fill the voids with crumpled up newspapers.

Kind of reminds me of a seatbelt demonstration we used to do. Placed an egg in a small wooden box or car with wheels on it. Send it down the ramp to het the barrier at the end. Egg always smashed when the box hit the barrier. Then we would tape the egg to the leading panel of the wooden box. Same trip down the ramp to the barrier. The egg did not smash. Same concept.

20. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I prefer to have my stuff packed properly in the middle with some distance between my part and the side for WHEN the box gets punctured with something or crushed. Almost every single package I receive from an eBay seller (which is A LOT) is nearly destroyed on the outside. I know people that have worked for UPS and USPS... the stories are not confidence inspiring.