4th Gen Cold start problems

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by SpaceCowboy, Mar 16, 2021.

1. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy New Member

United States
    Hello All,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a relevant forum post.

I've recently rebuilt the top half of my engine on my 96, rebuilding the carbs, replacing all the gaskets, setting the timing, etc. Now my bike runs great and I use her as my main commuter.

Problem though lies in the fact that I'm having trouble with cold starts. First start of the day is always a problem. I pull out the choke, press the starter, it starts for a second then stops, then I press the starter again, starts for a bit and idles very low then stops. This goes on for a few cycles until finally I hit the starter, she idles low then settles in to the right idle speed. I let her warm up for a minute then take off.

When the bike is warm I have ZERO problems starting her right up, shes basically ready to go before I hit the button. Someone suggested to me that this could be a problem with my valves since the bike is at 56k miles on the odometer. The problem with that is my schedule is packed and I don't have the time to do a valve job myself, I also don't really want to pay a mechanic $650 to do it for me unless it's actually gonna fix my cold start problem.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    maybe the idle jets need more cleaning or possibly the enrichment circuit pickup tubes (long brass and not removable) are clogged, which is common. try poking into them with a .012" steel wire. if they are clear and clean the wire can go in to a depth of about 35mm. there is no enrichment if the tubes are blocked so choke control is useless.

msg-3647-0-60731700-1334457355.jpg