3rd gen stator looks bad---is it?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by erollman, Aug 5, 2010.

1. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    Ok, so in trying to find out what my slapping noise is in my engine, I also am trying to figure out my charging issues. I bought a cheap rect off of ebay( don't worry, I won't do it again), plugged it in, and no change. Today while I had my bike tore apart, I said what the hell, lets have a peek at that stator. I pulled the cover off and found that some of it looks charcoaled. You guys think this is where my problem is? I was gonna do all the electric tests before I tore the bike apart, but the dang batt was dead, so I can't really do that right now. Just lookin for some opinions.

Note-I have already removed the connector between the stator and rec, and soldered the wires together. I also upgraded the output wire from the rec to the batter to a 8guage.

2. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    You'll have to meter it, to determine it's serviceability. If it fails, try cleaning it up with alcohol, or some other electronics cleaning solution and test it again.

:crazy:

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Its fried/mine was cooked too after maybe 60,000 or so. Bite the bullet and buy a new one from HONDA. Install it and enjoy a charging demon. I still have the original R/R with no issues. My old stator had a burnt smell and burned the wires going into the block. Small achilles heal for such a kick arse bike imho. Cheers.

4. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    Thanks for the info. I am gonna try to get a pic here in a few of it and upload it to see if yours looks the same as mine, as far as being fried and all.

5. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    Well, ordered me a new ricks stator today from wiremybike.com and a vfrness. I sure hope that this fixes my charging issues and I can start to ride without fear that I'm going to break down. Can't wait for it to get here.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    while you wait, ohm test your old one to see if it really was bad or not. The test is in the owners manual and there are threads here that reference it. I think if you look at that recent thread about "test mys tator" (literally, just like that) and you'll get some info on testing the stator.

7. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    well, i sure would like to do this, but i don't really know how to use my ohm meter except for reading the voltage of a battery, or using the beep function for continuity. It looks like it can do so much more, I'm just not an electrician and it didn't come with a manual.

Regardless, I got my new ricks stator in the mail today. Its all nice and shiny clean. Tomorrow, I will call the Honda shop to see if my chain for the oil pump came in. I really need to figure out how to get to it so that I can change it. I can see around the clutch basket where I believe it has been slapping the block. I pulled the clutch plates and found this almost castle nut looking joby under them. I don't know where to even get a tool that would take that off. I am gonna read thru the manual and see what I can figure out. If anybody has any ideas, or has changed theirs out before, please advise me on how to do so.

Here is my new charging beast off of the bike.
    Ricks+Wiremybike=Goodness
    [​IMG]

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Mulit meters are far out huh. Lots of features you dont have to use every day but regardless its an essential tool. I disconnected the plug of the stator and measured DC current directly from it, the readings where off so I knew mine was bad. The nut your refering to has splines on four sides, I have used a hammer and good chisel to knock them off in the past. If I was working on my own stuff though, and needed that socket, I would buy it. Its maybe 20 or so bucks from honda. Cheers for now

9. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    Yeah, and I just bought a cheap one. Not a fluke or anything of real high quality. I will try that. I was wondering if I could use a hammer and chisel. I found the socket in the manual, I just need to call the shop to see if they can get me one. Maybe one day I will get to ride again.....

10. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    That ride is coming sooner than I had hoped for. I got the stator installed and the VFRness and man is she hot. At only 2200rpms, she is putting out 14.2, and then at 5k, its up to 14.59. I haven't ever seen that on my bike. I am so happy. My lights aren't flickering anymore and it starts right up with no hesitations. Now I just gotta get me a new final drive chain, mine is pretty kinked up. Dang cheap thing I bought off of ebay.
    Anyways, thanks for all of the help

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Thats it!!! Thats exactly what my turd generation bike charges at 5000 too. Before that it would be around 12.6 or so according to the memory banks. Hey a used chain? thats kinda like buying used underware isnt it? If you did want to bite the bullet and get a nice gold RK chain and someones steel sprockets it wouldnt cost you much over 220 quid or er dollars. Dont go the aluminium route cause its softer and wont last as long. Cheers

12. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    LOL! No, it wasn't used. It was brand new, but it was only 25 bucks plus shipping. I am pretty sure that its only supposed to be used for machinery at low speeds. They claimed it was a high tensile, high speed chain for motorcycles, but it only put me 1k down the road. You think RK is the best? I wanna buy something that is gonna last. What do you use to lube your chain?

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Thats funny, the thing with the machinery chain. I got visions of some chain that came out of bulgaria intended to be used on farm equipment for manure spreading. I use EK chains. I got one on the viffer and have a new one waiting in my tool box for the kawi EX 500. Use a quality steel sprocket set up. Japanese, French, USA. I got some japanese ones on the honda. EK is da chit. I got a beautiful chain braker from them that comes in its own blue metal box, its a high quality japanese tool. Good luck and cheers. I use gear oil on my chain 75-80W/do it when its hot, use ur center stand or work stand. Sometimes I spray Bel-Ray chain lube on it. Thats it really. If you touch your chain, your finger should come away with some grease or oil on it. If it dont ur chain is dry.