3500 mile ride for a picnic (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by heymike, Sep 13, 2009.

1. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    3500 Miles of pure fun..

I had been planning on attending a picnic in Southern California for the last 5 months. I already made up my mind that I was ridding down.

I own two older Honda’s and wanted to add a newer VFR800 to my stable for this trip. I searched Craigslist for months and settled on a 06 Pearl White with ABS. The bike was in show room condition with only 6200 miles on her.

I scoured Google maps for weeks looking for the most fun route with the least amount of slab time. I knew I needed to be in Orange County on August 15th for the picnic. The only Hotel reservations I made were for the Crown Plaza in Irvine for 3 nights.

I have taken many 3 day trips before, but this one was for 13 days. I learned a lot about what NOT to bring then next time I do this. If I plan on attending parties and such in the future I will buy clothes online and have them shipped to my destination and not carry the extra weight. That goes along with the camping supplies. I realized that I’m too old to sleep on the ground when I can afford a hotel room every night. I could have easily just carried a few essentials & tools and been just fine.

I loaded up the evening of the 8th and left the next morning to the usual Washington goodbye with the customary drizzle.

I had several sites that I wanted to see again:
    Crater Lake, California coast from Rockport to Newport Beach (my old stomping grounds), Yosemite Park & Lake Tahoe.

The nice thing about rider forums is that you can learn some great routes from others. One of my major goals on this trip was to hit roads I have never been on before. I followed a great path through Oregon that I learned from Rob and Brian’s trip a few weeks earlier. Not a single road let me down. Although the goat trail from Alderpoint to Garberville California wasn’t my brightest move. The views were great but the going was painfully slow. Live and Learn.

This trip brought me the peace I was looking for. I became one with my new bike, I forgot where and who I worked for. And troubles?? They were long gone. When I got to the reunion picnic everyone said “you sure like to smile a lot”. If they only knew how much fun I was having they would have completely understood the smile and of course it was also because I was visiting with childhood friends, some of which I have not seen or talked to in over 35 years.

We riders are a rare breed, but one I am happy to be a member of. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Day 1

Rode from Edmonds Washington to Oakridge Oregon. I travelled on two lane Highways from Estacadia to Oakridge where I stopped for the night. These were some of the most peaceful roads I have ever ridden on.

No traffic to speak of. At one point I didn’t seen another human for almost 45 minutes. I was told by a local that the brewery (Brewers Union) was a good spot for a few pints and a burger. Miles = 450

Day 1 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2

I was really looking forward to hitting Crater Lake again. I cannot even put into words what this place does to me; I guess it puts my life into perspective. Leaving the lake I headed south to Klamath Falls via the back roads. After having a nice cool Frosty at Wendy’s I headed west on Hwy 66. My plan was to ride along the Oregon/California border on Topsy Grade Road, looked like a fun route, well I missed the turn off west of Keno and I’m actually glad I did.

Hwy 66 was a biker’s paradise. I swear Oregon road engineers either love to ride bikes or sports cars because this Hwy was so fun, I did it twice. My face began to hurt because of the grin I had going for almost 2 hours.

I was just about to head into Ashland, when I saw a sign “Old Siskiyou Hwy” and figured what the hell. It took me up the grade and dumped me out onto I-5 in the Mt. Ashland area.

After heading into Northern Cal, I got off the slab and rode Hwy 263 into Yreka. I had planned on being much further south to call it a night, but Hwy 66 beat me up and the 98 degree heat was taking a toll too. Miles = 266

Day 2 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3

I woke to a great morning. The temperature was in the mid 60’s and perfect for hitting Hwy 3 hard.

I set my goal to reach Fort Bragg along the coast. I had not ridden on Hwy 3 for about 25 years and really looked forward to it. I stopped in Fort Jones for a quick photo of the bar with the “Sale” sign that lights for happy hour when 6 bikes came from my direction. I took a few shots of them and mounted back up. I quickly caught the tail end of the group and rode with them quite awhile. We stopped after a spirited ride. I find out that most of them live within 30 miles of me in Washington, great group of guys.

I said my goodbyes and wished them safe travels. I was about 5 minutes ahead of them. I stopped to take some more photos, got back on my bike and noticed 3 sets of headlights and they were coming fast. What followed was some of the fastest riding I have ever done. It was 3 from the group, two riding ST1300’s and one on a BMW RS. I lead for about 15 miles with them right on my ass and pushing harder. We were doing at least 30 over and not slowing much for the corners either. I was laughing the whole way. Unfortunately for me, I over packed and my VFR was like riding two up, my brain was saying “it’s time to ride within your limits”. I waved them past me and then followed them into Weaverville and nodded goodbye again.

I continued south on Hwy 3 until I hit Hwy 36 and headed west. I saw an interesting route on Google Maps and decided to take it. I headed south off of 36 on Mad River road and then took Ruth-Zilla road which was a total gas until it ended in Alderpoint. From there is became a goat trail named Alderpoint Rd. Geez that was sloooow going. The road (or what was left of it) was a mess. I’m glad for the experience because the view was awesome. I dumped out on Hwy 101 in Garberville and then headed south at a quick pace.

Once I got to Leggett I went west on the Hwy 1/208 to the coast. GREAT road. I just wish some of the motor homes got the memo I was heading out that way.

The coast never disappoints. The temps dropped to a pleasant 65 degrees after another hot day. I reached my destination of Fort Bragg. Miles = 303

Day 3 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4

I left with a light fog hanging on to the coast and would begin to clear soon. This was a stretch of Hwy 1 I had not been on since I was 10 years old in the family station wagon. It was much nicer on the Viffer.

There is something about the aroma of the Pacific Ocean in California. It does wonders for the soul. I was really having a good time and stopped quite often to take photos.

The road was in great shape and the traffic was extremely light. I was just enjoying the view and taking it easy.

In Tomales, I stopped for gas and a drink. I was having a great time, picking up the pace as the road began to twist and I saw a single headlight approaching quick. Geez, I’m thinking “time for the award”, not… It was a Triumph, whew. We railed together for over 35 miles and stopped to chat at the Vista in Stinson Beach. Rob was from Vancouver B.C. He got fed up at work and decided to take a ride….. He just kept going. He was headed to Frisco and then was heading back up north. Great guy, I got some killer video of me chasing him to the Golden Gate bridge.
    Rob if you see this, the email you gave me was bad so I couldn’t send you the footage.

The fog was really flying into the bay and made the bridge look spectacular. I continued south and stopped in Moon bay and bodysurfed for a half an hour. It was just what I needed after San Francisco traffic. I called it a night in Marina.

I purchased and installed a Scorpio alarm with proximity sensor that I bought on a group buy from Pashnit.com, best investment I made on this trip, besides a cooling vest. I was walking back to the hotel around 9:30 after dinner and drinks and saw two crackheads in a pickup truck “cruising” the parking lot. My room was around the corner from the parking lot and I could not see my bike. The alarm went off at 3:30 in the morning. I grabbed my glock and ran for the lot; the truck was just fleeing the scene. The bike was safe and sound. Miles = 291

Day 4 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5

Well needless to say, not a great night’s sleep. I went out to the bike and it was covered in ash from the Santa Cruz fire. After a quick cleanup it was time to load up and continue on. I wasn’t sure if I was going to attempt to make it all the way into Southern Cal or not. My thought was I would find a nice place in Santa Barbara.

The sky was perfect for photos. It had the typical orange tinge from the smoke. In a car, the smoke wouldn’t have been that bad. On the bike it sucked, my throat was getting sore and my eyes began burning. I was on the 101 and traffic came to a stop for morning traffic. So being naïve to the ways of the area, I sat in traffic until I saw a Gold Wing splitting traffic. I then remembered it was legal to do this and I followed along. If I tried that in Washington, even if it was legal, those idiot cagers would kill me. That sure saved some time.

Once out of Monterrey, it was clear sailing. The next several hours where great, had some great tunes going and really just flowed with the road. I got to Santa Barbara around 3pm just in time for some more lane splitting. I stopped at the beach in Carpinteria and vegged for about 45 minutes deciding if I would continue on or stop. I got a second wind and decided to see how far I could get. I rode Hwy 1 all the way to Newport Beach and took up an offer to spend the night at my friend Mala’s place. She was a great host. Miles = 387

Day 5 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Days 6-8
    I spent these next few days exploring some of my favorites haunt’s as a kid. Went by the old houses I lived in, hit the beach with two of my best friends (both still as beautiful as ever) and then visited with childhood friends and neighbors I haven’t seen or talked to in ages. The picnic was a success, which lead to a great “after party”.

Monday came and I didn’t want to leave, but reality was setting in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 9

I was hoping to head into the mountains of Arizona to visit my folks, but it was too damn hot to cross the desert.

I left Southern Cal and decided to run up the east side of the Sierra’s and head towards Yosemite. I took I-15 to Victorville and then rode Hwy 395 to Bishop. It was pretty uneventful, flat, boring and hot section of the trip. Some great scenery from the mountains and this cool Elk heard that was lying in this farmer’s field. Miles = 329

Day 9 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 10

It was another perfect morning for a ride. I jumped on Hwy 395 and headed toward Tiago Pass. I made a quick stop at June Lake to take it in.

I had lived in California for 17 years and never visited Yosemite, what a mistake. I could spend two weeks there backpacking and still feel like I was missing something. It was truly amazing. Another place on this planet that makes you feel like a speck of dust in the grand scheme.

I do not think I could get over 3 miles without stopping to take a photo. I left the park and headed down the mountain, only to head about 40 miles north on Hwy 49 and shoot right back up them on Hwy 26 and then Hwy 88 to Lake Tahoe. I hit the 10K mile mark on my new ride. Miles = 357

Day 10 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 11

I spent several summers up at Tahoe as a kid and the place always brings back great memories. I put on some of my best 70’s music and just railed up the west side of the lake only stopping to take a few photos of Emerald Bay. The rest of the photos are in my head. It was a fun fast ride.

My only plan was to get as far north as I could so I would be in Astoria Oregon by the end of day 12 to visit two great friends who were fishing the river.

I took Hwy 89 to Hwy 49 and then worked my way to Hwy 395 and headed to Susanville for lunch. It was starting to warm up. I had been through Lassen Park a few times and felt like I should skip it on this trip due to construction, nothing worse than sitting in full gear in 100 degree heat.

I head north on Hwy 44. There was a recent fire that torched the area pretty good. It looked like the surface of the moon and made it even hotter outside. I stayed on Hwy 44 until it merged back with 89 and rode into Shasta City.

It was really getting hot; my cooling vest made a huge difference, but the dry hot air in the helmet was taking its toll. I ended up stopping in Yreka again and went swimming in the hotel pool until it was time for Mexican food and margaritas. Miles = 325

Day 11 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 12

This was going to be a long day. I needed to be in Astoria, but I still wanted to ride the Oregon coast. I left around 7am and hit the slab making really good time. I decided to begin my trek to the coast on Hwy 20. The weather was perfect until I was about 5 miles from the coast when it fogged up which was the case the rest of the way to my destination. It was real slow going. It took almost 5 hours just to get up the coast. I made it in time for dinner and drinks. Miles = 410

Day 12 Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 13

The weather was typical northwest stuff, light drizzle. I knew I didn’t want to spend a few hours on a boat if it wasn’t sunny.

I packed up and finished the last leg of the trip. I took Hwy 101 and worked my way up the Westside of the Peninsula to catch the Kingston ferry. The nice part about taking the ferry is that the Edmonds dock is only 2 miles from my place. I had an unforgettable journey, one I will take every year until my body makes me stop. Thanks for all those who made this trip what it was. Hope you enjoyed my story too. Miles = 259

Day 13 Map Total Miles = 3560

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. thsxtreme

thsxtreme New Member

thanks for sharing your trip story! great pictures..sounds like u had a blast

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    nice right up...hell, nice trip for that matter.....you blew by a bunch of folks...LOL time shcedules are crazy to keep too.....

4. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    what an epic adventure! great write up and great pictures as well. thanks for sharing. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Awesome picture and great story, Thanks for sharing.

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Holy cow those pictures are breathtaking... are you a professional photographer?

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for sharing. From the photo's and story it must have been "Mike's Excellent Adventure!". You have some great country all around you for your yearly trips. Your lucky, very lucky.

One question though. How do you like riding alone vs with one or more? I try and take a trip every year by myself. I find it so head clearing. No decisions to make with another. Just go where you want to go when you want. Don't have to plan a road by road trip to a certain destination. Just a general area and at times never make it because you changed directions for some reason or whim. Thanks again it made my morning.

8. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Aufderheide, Hwy 36 & Leggett on the same ride :thumbsup: Can't wait to get home tonight to read this thread :cool:

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    great story. I wish I had gotten a chance to meet you and ride a bit. Brian and I crossed some of the same paths you rode a year or so ago.

10. Coyote3

Coyote3 New Member

Map
    Those pics are awesome! Great post, thanks for sharing.

11. supertex

supertex New Member

Thanks for taking me for a ride. I enjoyed it. Sounded like a head clearing experience.

12. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    awesome ride I am jealous..... was that squirrels chopper?????

13. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, Joey.. I just love photography and this was a great chance to use my new camera on this trip.

14. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Incredible picture and write up! Next time you make the trip give the Cali people a "heads up". You rode by at least 15 active members of the forum who could have either rode with you for a few miles or offered some grub. You were right in my backyard near the GG bridge. Glad you had a safe trip! :thumbsup:

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, awesome, great write up Mike, you surprised me.. good going. it's trips like this that makes this site special as we get a taste.. suburb job.. all though, time lines being what they are. you're more than welcome to stop by..
    Boy does this stir the coals and soul to plan a trip..

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Wow - great story and pics. I did very close to the same trip something like 5 years ago. I was getting that "dega vue"(sp) feeling..... wow

MD

17. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. Surfer: I really didn't have a time line and I kept changing my mind along the route. I would have hated to try and make a commitment to meet someone and not show up. I'm planning on ridding down again next summer too, and will contact my fellow VFRbro's along the way to at least say hello if not ride with them.

18. sonnyseng

sonnyseng New Member

Awesome Ride!

Thank you for sharing your amazing trip. I really enjoyed the photos. I just recently purchased a brand new 2007 - Candy Red. I can't wait to take it on Hwy 1 to San Francisco. Yes, the coast line has never dissappointed me. I enjoy the Big Sur area most.

The pictures were amazing....

19. henriquevfr

henriquevfr New Member

Thanks for share, really good trip.

20. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I have completely missed the best part of this site. Awesome write up!