2015 vfr800 deluxe suspension feel/adjustment?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Firefly360, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Firefly360

Firefly360 New Member

United States
    (TL;DR at bottom for those who are "energy conservative")

Hey everyone! I just got my first vfr a couple weeks ago, a brand new 2015 vfr800 deluxe, 0 miles. I've always loved the interceptor, and knew that one day I would get one. Just thought it would be later, rather than sooner.

Anyways, about a week and a half ago I picked up my new vfr from the dealer, and it immediately put a smile on my face.
    But after riding a few miles, I noticed that when I maintained a steady speed around 40 mph, or when coasting in neutral, (did this to check if it was something to do with engine power that I wasn't used to) the suspension seemed to be a bit jumpy/bouncy. It was making my whole body shake. I did notice though that if I took my weight off the handlebarsa and supported myself using my legs against the tank, it helped from my body shaking, but got tiring pretty fast.

When I got home, I looked in the manual on how the factory rebound damping should be. Found that it had not been set up properly, and adjusted it to the way the factory setting should have been, hardening it up a bit from the way it was. Fast forward a couple days and the weather was nice enough to test it out. (Plus I only had a half day at work because it was New year's day)
    The adjustment did make a difference, but it didn't quite take the problem away, and I don't know what else I can do to adjust it.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the suspension, so I'm guessing it's not normal.
    Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, or have any suggestions as to what I could do to fix it?

TL;DR
    Brand new vfr, suspension is bouncy/shaky. What can I do to fix it?

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to VFRW. When you get at chance, introduce yourself in the "introductions" forum, and post some photos of your new ride.

Regarding your "bouncing", if it were me, I would check to see if you have a bulge in one of the tires and if nothing is found take it back to the dealer and ask if they would check the tires for balance. Your "bounce" may be caused by your tires, not by the suspension.

3. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    You say you went back and set it up per the manual. This is good, but may not solve all your problems. Have you set your sag? Should have about 30 - 40 MM with you onboard in full gear. YouTube has a ton of videos on setting sag if you need help. Like you I found mine was not set up right when I took delivery. The rear was completely topped out, and very hard as a result. This also added a little rake to the bike, and it wanted to fall into turns. I got my sag set which entailed pulling some of the preload out of the rear....and got a much better result.

Another thing you can try is with a friend keeping the bike stable straight up/down, push down on the bike evenly on the front/rear. You are looking for it to compress evenly, and rebound evenly front/rear. With the adjustments you have, you should be able to get it close. If not, it's possible you may need to upgrade the suspension with fork springs for your weight, and a valve kit.

https://www.designcorse.com/blogs/news/motorcycle-suspension-setup-tips

The website above may help, and strengthening your core will help in keeping weight off your hands/wrists. Relaxed arms is one of the key things you need for good bike control.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Igrok likes this.
  4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Take half an hour and set up the suspension for your weight. Loads of info out there.