2011 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition (Emma) ride report:

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Echo3Niner, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    This is long, but I hope at least entertaining, if not educating or enlightening…

OK, so I took Emma out for her first real ride today. Prior to this, I had rode her home, and to work once, that’s it. Today, was my normal route out Brock Rd. to 208, down to 522 (country store) and back. This is my fave little route if I just want to get a quick ride in. I had done it many, many times on Cap (2007 VFR800), so today I was able to really judge just how different Emma was.

First a little history, for context. I rode dirtbikes since I can remember. My first street bike was a used Honda 1983 CB1100F, I got in 1986. I rode this bike on the street, and did a few runs down a drag strip for fun. In late 1987 I traded in my Honda and got a still on the floor 1986 Suzuki GSXR750. With this bike I did some beginner racing with WERA in SoCal while I was in the Corps. Back then, they didn’t really have “track days”, or at least they weren’t advertised as such. But WERA had a beginner class, after you qualified and got your beginner license (I think it was actually called Novice). I only raced about 8 beginner races and did one race school weekend, before I sold my Gixxer in late 1988.

Now, the reason I tell you all this, is to explain my perspective on the two most recent bikes I’ve owned. As most of you know, I did not own a bike for almost 19 years on the dot, when my kids were grown enough that my wife said I could “kill myself if I wanted”. So in spring of 2008 I was in search of my new ride; when I spied a 2007 Red, White and Blue, 25th Anniversary Edition, Honda VFR800 Interceptor. Now I had loved the Interceptor’s since they came out in 1983, and this bike had sat on the dealer’s floor for a year, and he was jonesing to get rid of it. That was Captain America, and I had him for 3 years, until I decided to throw him off the side of a mountain… http://vfrworld.com/forums/trips-events/31212-anatomy-crash.html

The point of this historical context is to say; every street bike I’ve owned until Emma made about 100-110 horsepower, and they got progressively lighter, better in technology, handling and breaking. So, when everyone else was giving me crap for owning an “old man’s crotch rocket” (VFR), I thought Cap did a great job; Hell, he handled better, stopped faster, accelerated harder and was easier to ride then my “race inspired” GSXR. But, as all of you have I’m sure surmised by this point (if you’ve read this far), is that my context of a modern sport bike, was extremely dated…

So, today I jump on Emma, and we take off for my usual leisurely ride. The route I listed above, is full of sweepers, only has a couple slightly tight turns, almost none are off camber, nor decreasing radius. So, in my sleep, just to have fun, this is a nice escape route, where I have fun, but don’t work too hard. At this point, I only had 120 miles on her, so still in that ridiculous break-in period where I’m supposed to keep her under 5k rpm’s… That didn’t last too long, though I didn’t really push her past about 8k.

So what I’d noticed in my first two rides, was that even though my elbow still hurts when I ride, I have to put MUCH less effort into the handlebars on Emma. Today though, I will try to describe the sensation of riding on fast, known sweepers; the first word that comes to mind is, intuitive. When I would ride Cap on this same route, regularly I had to think about what I was doing as I would go thru the corners. You know, nothing crazy, but if I wanted to hold my line, and have proper form, I was thinking about body placement, how much to lean on the pegs vs. push the handlebars, and having eye discipline to look thru my corner, but also watch the line in the corner with my peripheral vision, to ensure I hit my marks. On Emma, I didn’t really think about all this. Because the riding was so easy, so effortless (the second word that comes to mind, and really the best description I can think of), I just rode, and everything I had to think thru on Cap, just happened on Emma.

Emma’s handling is so precise, I found myself actually beginning to manage where I was in my line, and in some corners I had to work hard on Cap, I had to actually “slack off” on Emma, cause I was leaning too hard, or pushing too hard on the handlebars. After coming to grips with this revelation, I started narrowing my marks down and getting FAR more precise. In fact, in the 70 or so miles round trip, I’d say I didn’t even get to the point where I was exploiting the handling capabilities of Emma at all. As I kept narrowing my marks, she just kept hitting them. So next time I’ll have to start narrow, and keep thinning them out, until I find where I have to actually back off at all.

As for the brakes, I’d say they are stronger then my arm can take at the moment. I’ve not had chance, nor reason to really get the rear wheel off the ground, but have no doubt if my arm could take it, the brakes would outperform my skills.

As for acceleration, as I mentioned above, I am trying desperately to follow the guidelines for breaking her in… So, at this point, while her acceleration is good, I wouldn’t put her light years ahead of Cap, even though she’s got about 15-20 more ponies. We’ll see when I can finally open her up and get into the high end of the range.

Last but not least, is seating position, ergonomics and comfort. I do not have the Helibars on Emma yet, and will likely not have them for a 3-4 more weeks. I do have the low gel seat. As I mentioned when sitting on her at the dealer, though she is about an inch taller than Cap, because the seat contour fits my crotch and ass so much better, I actually have as much feet on the ground as I did on my Viffer. Also, though the seating position is more “racy” then Cap, I don’t feel noticeably different physically after a ride, or during for that matter. My butt and hips feel better, due to the better seat; my back and shoulders aches a bit, my hands/wrists get a little sore, and my right hand still falls asleep a bit (which I just shake out). But this is all about the same, after the same period of riding, as I had on Cap, if not actually a little better. So, I don’t know if it’s my long torso and short arms & legs, or what, but at the end of the day, I’d say all the hype about seating position, is just that; hype.

I will add, that my new Icon Hooligan 2 jacket is EXTREMELY light, and flows FAR more air then my old Icon TIMAX2 did. Additionally, my X-12 Shoei is worth every penny; it is lighter, better fitting, more comfortable, and flows FAR more air then my RF-1000 did.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier. So thought I’d share it all with you. I can tell you with all confidence; you did not enjoy reading it, as much as I enjoyed doing it!

2. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's some pretty pics of the new girl... Some of the cool carbon bits, the Arrow pipe, etc.

0829101741.jpg 0829101743b.jpg 0829101743.jpg 0829101743a.jpg 0829101742.jpg 0829101744.jpg 0829101742a.jpg

3. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

:thumbsup:

4. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    You are talking my language! As an owner of 2009 Daytona 675 (and former owner of a 2007 VFR) I can "echo" all that you are saying. Beautiful SE! Just wait until that rascal is broken in. If you think it is powerful and fun now, just wait. That thing roars at 8000 rpms and up. Until you have seen those blue shift lights come on, you don't quite know how exciting it is. And it is of course the lighter weight of the Daytona that really helps with the acceleration, the handling and the braking. This just might be a two-person Thread here but who cares? CONGRATS! Please keep it safe out there! Let me know if I can help.
    (And I sure wish you were on my side of the country so I could hear that Arrow exhaust...the stock is exciting...that can must be something!)

5. Renegade 1 LI

Renegade 1 LI New Member

I have to put my 2 cents in, last week while picking up my wife's new riding gear I got to test ride a triumph street triple & was very impressed! It was quick, nimble & powerful! But I still prefer the ride quality on the vfr , that said I see one residing in the garage next to the vfr, no reason you can't have both.

6. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I love Triumph sport and naked triples. I've ridden the 675, Speed, and Street, and they are all fantastic rides! You just have to think about where you want them to go, and they're there. They're amazing machines. Excellent handling, plenty of power, and have that unique triple sound. Great ergos, too. If I had the coin, I'd have a Speed and a 675 in my garage right now.

So I don't get banned, I love my VFR, too.

7. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    it looks nice echo....i can't wait till i can get a uber light sportbike. the 87 vfr is a great starter bike but i'm starting to outgrow it. the handling on the new sportbikes are unmatched to a vfr.

8. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Now if I could only find time to ride the beautiful girl! Just over 500 miles so far only, and two beautiful weekends in the new garage, sucks.

Too much crap going on at home, and nothing fun. Finally got the garage in place, so now we have to unpack the house (after 4 months)...

9. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Nice feedback! Good to hear.
    (So many good bikes out there!)

10. Wleaumont

Wleaumont New Member

Map
    My riding partner just purchased a Daytona 955. It is a 2002 100th year anniversary edition. I would echo your words of "intuitive" and "effortless". I rode the his bike about a week before I read your post about Emma and I used the exact same words to describe his ride. I am a sucker for great sound. (Part of my affinity toward the VFR) and the Triumph Triple has a distinctive timber that will not disappoint. As a 2007 RWB pilot (Her name is Reba...I had a feeling that Captain America was already taken) I am always sadden to hear about the loss of a VFR but I am happy you found a replacement you love. Our local dealership has a 2009 Speed Triple with a crazy good price on it (8900 + Fees) but unfortunatly my wife has made it pretty clear that if Reba gets a stablemate that I should make sure there is plenty of room in the garage......since I will be sleeping there.

11. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Thanks for your feedback. Getting another VFR would be an absolute if I hit the jackpot.

12. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Thinking of trading your 675SE on the new 675RW ?

[​IMG]

13. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Do yourself a favor and replace the stock grips with a set of ProGrip 699 gels grips.

14. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Ummm, no. While I'm intrigued by the R, frankly I'm not in good enough shape anymore to push my SE anywhere near her limits, so that cool Ohlins suspension would just be "bling" for me...

Besides, I like the look of my SE better then the R.

I would not do the wedding bike, those royals don't have the same allure over on this side of the pond...

15. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I still don't have the HeliBars on yet, never made it back to the dealer before winter (2 hours away, heading towards DC). I'll be getting them soon though.

We'll let the bars sink in, then I'll take a look at the grips. Thanks for the idea though.

16. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Just a heads up: I lost the cowl off my 675 about 5 weeks ago...when I arrived home it was GONE. That darn single bolt that holds it on must have backed out. So word to the wise...check the bolt often! The cowl is way too spendy to lose!

17. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Is this thing for real? If so, and no offense to the family, that's the stupidest fucking thing I've seen in a long time. Similar to having a Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes scrotum tatoo.

18. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    you got that right!

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Probably not something that obvious but Triumph have released Wedding Specials in the past so who knows.

[​IMG]

20. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ^^ That one is much cooler - something Charles can be proud of. Willie got the shaft by comparison.