2007 VFR800 Engine Stalling Issue

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by rbelz, May 6, 2013.

1. rbelz

rbelz New Member

I recently purchased a 2007 VFR800 with ABS. It was extremely clean, well cared for, and only had 11,000 miles on it. During my inspection and test ride, everything was perfect and the engine just ran perfectly. I was surprised however on the ride home that a issue with the engine stalling started to appear. First time, I pulled into a gas station after riding about 60 miles. Came to a stop, put it in neutral, dropped the kickstand and leaned the bike over. Just before I could turn the key off, the motor just died like I did turn the key. I was new on the bike and figured I just must have done something wrong. Bike fired right back up and I went on about my way, but then over the last 2-3 days of riding I have noticed it several more times. Coming to a stop in the garage, or in one case while sitting at a stop sign.

Engine runs perfectly at all other times. Idles smooth too, and when it does stall it's just like you turned off the key. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Look out for any other clues? : -

Headlights dim?

Headlight bulbs blown?

FI light flashing a blink code?

Can you still hear the fuel pump when it stalls?

If it fails as described, it rather points to an electrical issue - so its probably best to start with a quick check over the charging system.

Get a multimeter and check the battery volts? Is it healthy or way low? Post up the volts.

Even if the rest of the charging system is fine, a dead or dying battery can drop the system volts to a point where things like the PGMFI system won't work, and can also produce other weird symptoms on the instruments. If the battery is still the 2007 original then its well past its replacement date.

Let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Aggh bit trigger happy today - should have said Welcome to the MadHouse!

We also look forward to seeing pictures of your new ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

SkiMad

4. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

I would check to make sure the leads connecting the battery are tight, also check the idle i think it should be around 1200rpm. If its to low it could just hiccup then shutoff on you.

5. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    What does the engine idle at? The manual says 1250 is perfect but there have been many of us that have stalling at that RPM. 1350 RPM takes care of that.

Aside from that, search for other signs. Maybe bad gas? Plugs need changed? Starter valves need sync'd?

Download the factory service manual from here (208MB): Service Manual, 6th Gen 2002+ VTEC, with bookmarks - VFR Discussion

6. Jayzdozen

Jayzdozen New Member

Check the reg/stator connector. I learned the hard way but my bike did the same thing and it was the connector burning up. No smell or smoke till it was too late

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Bought my ride with 1800 miles and it did the same thing to me stoping and in neutral....think either Tink or Toe told me to bump up my idle...not sure what its at now..will check tomarrow but it has not done it since....two years

8. Cplweiss

Cplweiss New Member

I've had the issue of the engine shutting off while riding it.... WTH?

9. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Hi and I guess I should start by extending a formal welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

When you get the chance, please head over to the introductions sub forum and say Hi to the rest of the gang. They do however really like to see pictures of your bike before they will believe you actually own a VFR so get them in fast or you will get folks ragging on you!

:focus:

I am not sure whether or not your comment was also asking for advice - or simply confirmation that the same thing happened to you.

If you do want help, I suggest you create a new post in the Mechanics Garage sub forum and provide as much detail as possible about what happened, where it happened and anything else that might be pertinent - like mods to the bike, service history, weather conditions at the time, when it was last refuelled, any unusual noises etc... Sadly a bike can stall due to a whole heap of reasons - including of course operator error - like inadvertently knocking the kill switch - so the more you can tell us the better chance we will be able to help!

I know its tempting to try and keep a post as short as possible - but when it comes to problem solving - the more you share, the easier it is for people hundreds of miles away to rule out stuff and hopefully get you to focus on the most likely cause. One other important message is that if/when you finally find the cause - please remember to come back on here and tell us how it was solved. That way we can all learn from what you found.

Take care

SkiMad

10. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I had the exact same issue: coming to a stop, the engine would just die. The stealership swore they couldn't find anything wrong (I doubt they even looked) and it annoyed me enough that I sold that bike.

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    ++++++1 for Skimad
    :welcome: to the zoo lad :wave:

12. betarace

betarace New Member

Try the neutral position switch or kickstand switch Clean or replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk