2004 CCT issue/Mystery?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Redheadstepkid79, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Redheadstepkid79

Redheadstepkid79 New Member

United States
    Evening all. Took on a cct change today. I am mechanically inclined (only under shady trees) to a decent extent. -REMOVAL: Starting with the top. I wound in the tensioner, loosened the 2 connecting bolts, the small coolant line (no throttle body removal) and the cct itself extremely carefully. This is what I pulled out. 20210307_170918.jpg

Pretty much freaked out now. I heard no sound, or felt any kind of resistance upon removal. So I decided to move on to the rear/lower cct. Same procedure as top. Came out like butter (very slowly) this is what I have. ⚡⚡ 20210307_170903.jpg
    So no metal caps (either one) the wear on the rubber obviously is imprinted with the shape of the runner. My guess is replaced previously (without switching caps over) bike purchased @ 42,000 miles currently @ 47,000 miles. I'm getting conflicting reviews on my situation. (obviously if I had the resources and time I would rip it down and check) bike was started up periodically throughout the winter, and just 2 days prior to the cct Change. As far as I (myself) know I've put 5000 miles on them with no metal caps. IS THIS POSSIBLE? What do ya think? My apologies if this post is in the wrong place. Thanks.

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ok honestly its un-likely, both of mine left the caps in the engine when lifted out - they didn't move - just required an extending magnet to get them. However now assuming that you have looked in the holes if you don't see them then pull the side cover to confirm this. - order a new gasket.

3. Redheadstepkid79

United States
    Diving Pete, are you saying yours fell off during removal? Or they stayed on? I would kill to see a picture of what "worn" ones look like when cap has been properly installed. Its hard for me to believe a perfect indent of the cam runner is molded into the rubber. If it had caps, and made the same indentation why even use em? Wouldn't you agree?

4. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    See below for my change last year... you can see the 'wear' mark on the cap from use. I assumed the person who owned the bike had done it once (didnt know until i took the original out), as the cap was pinched on tightly (win) but also one of the screws was over-torqued which sheared off as soon as I put a socket on it. What a pain that was. No TB removal either.

You can also see that I drilled out the oil return hole (or whatever its called) on the new gasket in hopes of extending the life of this CCT... so far so good

20200615_162653.jpg

20200615_162830.jpg

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    yes mine fell out during removal. They are just pushed on. No big deal, just put them back on. I also drilled the oil hole out to 2mm

Redheadstepkid79 likes this.
  6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    On the front one I had to remove the side cover to get it. Again really easy, just had to wait for a side cover to get to me to finish it. None of mine looked that worn.

Redheadstepkid79 likes this.
  7. Redheadstepkid79

United States
    Thank you for the pictures! Exactly what I was hoping for.

8. mexa

mexa New Member

Latvia
    Those tensioners do not need oil, trey are one way with thread/spring. This hole will not do anything, you have "key" to fix if before install. With new tensioner caps do not go in kit, you can buy them separately, almost forgot last time to swap them.

9. Redheadstepkid79

United States
    No plans on "enlargement" of oil hole in gasket. Its an easy enough job. Ill just replace if necessary in the future. Main post was a question about "if" people thought there were caps on there initially. As per photos.