2003 VFR First Bike

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by viffer800, Oct 9, 2013.

1. viffer800

viffer800 New Member

What up everybody so I'm new to this forum. Loving it so far, so here is my big question.

Getting a first bike been looking at the Ninja 250, 300, cbr500r. I like them but they are too light to ride in these So Cal Freeways scary!!!

I have a friend that I have known for years, hes actually one of the founders of "Ride for Autism" here in SO Cal. So he owns a 2007 VRod Night Rod Special Black Out, his 2003 VFR 800 vtech of course, a 2007 700 BMW. basically what I am getting at is this guy has money and takes care of his toys. He is selling his VFR800 for $4500 20,000miles on it, he bought it brand new, for his BDAY has only been down once in his driveway when he was parking, broke the fairing but he replaced it asap. Has been maintained well has new tires on it, replaced the Stock exhausts, (forgot which ones) anyways, I was wondering if it is a good buy, and if I should jump on being that it is my first bike ever. Only riding experience I have is MSF Course, and riding a friends Ninja 250 around a few times. Im 5'-7" 162lbs, and have known of guys that get this as their first bike and still have it.

Should I pull the trigger on it, is it too much to pay?
    anything I should be asking?, any Recalls I have to look out for on the 2003 VFR 800 VTECH, any problems that can occur, when would the next service be due? how much will it cost to maintain, everything is welcome.

Thanks everyone

2. rmiller

rmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    4500 seems a bit high. I would check bluebook. I think around here, you could do better with a bike of that milage. Did he do the valve adjustment??? That is worth a bit.

Also, I do not folks who have puchased VFR's as first bikes, but IMHO, i would recommend something a bit lighter. The power delivery is smooth and predictable on a VFR, but the bike is a bit heavy - and that may make it a challenge.

That is just me - being conservative. VFR's are awesome bikes though - and whatever way you go - I wish you luck.

3. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    Welcome to the forum bud.

Lets see book is $3905 but it does have add-ons

Recall: there are two, issued 2007 http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/10668-vfr800-recall.html

As far as your firs bike they handle well and are easy to ride, but if you drop one even sitting still you will get a little body damage. Hence why I would recommend a set of frame sliders, they can be pricey, but so are decent replacement plastic's

there is my 2 cents, I am sure others will join in soon.

Again Welcome!

:cool:

4. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I am 5' 8" and have a 1998 VFR. It's a tad tall for me and I have dropped it 4 times.

Be SURE that the side stand it up before you take it off the center stand (drop #1 in my garage, had it 2 days).

20k miles on a VFR is nothing. That is only 2,000 miles/year. My concern when looking at a bike is maintenance, not mileage. Valves should be checked at 16k so it's over due if it hasn't been checked. Don't trust that they are "OK". Mine weren't and neither were Tink's when he checked his valves. The consequences are burnt valves if they are tight.

I would not dicker too much on the price because you know it's been taken care of, which is more important than saving a few bucks on an unknown bike. Ask me how I know!

I think the VFR 800 is a great street bike. I do not think it's a great first bike. If you are dead set on this VFR then get it.

For a first bike I would get something older and well used. A used Ninja 250 or 500 can be bought, rode hard for a year, dropped and sold for about what you have in it. Think of it as cheap bike rental versus expensive bike repairs to a pristine VFR.

If you drop/crash you nice VFR you are going to dropping F-bombs are yourself. If you drop/crash a $2,500 beater you will be like, "Meh... it's a beater..."

You asked for opinions, so you got mine!

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness viffer800 :wave:
    $4500 is high for 2003. IMO
    I have seen 06 or even 07 with that price.

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    First a warm welcome to the MadHouse from the far side of the pond :welcome:

For an early vtec that price does sound high, especially a model without ABS, but you really need to check out prices in the local market. Yes there may be a cheaper bike out there but if it entails a 3 day 2,000 mile trip to go get it you may decide the extra price is fair.

Anyways to the heart of the question - a Vtec is a big heavy mile munching beast which will handle highway speeds without a blink. If that's where you will be mostly riding then its going to be a good choice.

But as others have mentioned at very slow speed and especially stationary or during parking manoeuvres they can adopt horizontal parking mode with very little warning, and you will realise the tilt comfort range is very narrow. Once its past that angle then at your height/weight you are never going to stop 240kg - so get out the way and just try to lay it down. For a first bike - I would say fitting quality crash protection is a must. Search on here and you will see loads of threads - many started in the aftermath :frown: Mirrors are a regular casualty if the pivot bolt is tightened right down - they should be just snug enough to stay still whilst riding but able to fold back if you clip a car wing mirror whilst filtering through traffic or the bike tips over.

As for early vtec models, there was a wiring recall which any Honda dealer will be able to check was done, and quite a few have been left stranded by the dreaded RR failure and other electrical gremlins. From MY 2006 vtecs got upgraded electricals and changes to the vtec engagement thresholds to improve in town handling, and many came with ABS, but inevitably they command quite a price premium over earlier bikes.

Anyway don't be rushed - there are a lot of decent VFR's out there. There is even a very well known one currently up for sale on here but its way the other side of the continent, and suggesting you plan a transcontinental road trip as your introduction to the VFR is probably not the best idea.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on and post up pictures if you find a VFR which suits you.:vtr2:

SkiMad

7. viffer800

viffer800 New Member

WOW thanks a lot everyone, I know it is on the heavy side and that's what I'm afraid of, Im actually deciding between this VFR and a SV650, Its been taking care of that's for sure, yet I would still have to ask him about if he had the recalls done to it before taking it off his hands, and I will be commuting a total of 45.4mi. daily 22.7 to work and back. so Commuting would be the reason of the bike Mon-Fri, I still need to give it a test ride, to decide on it even though it is a bit high. Or i could just get a Yamaha Bolt R-Spec. hahaha
    I'll keep you guys posted BTW its the grey color.

8. zeebandit

zeebandit New Member

United States
    If I were you I would go with the SV650. If you drop it not too much will get dinged, It's a lot lighter than the VFR, has plenty of power, easy maintenance, good on the highway and great gas mileage. There is also a big after market for the bike. Also handles pretty good.

9. rmiller

rmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    I took 10 years off riding and bought an SV650 as a re-entry bike last fall. It worked out great in that capacity. Fun bike, but the throttle is a bit abrupt. You just have to be careful with it. The weight is considerably more manageable for a first bike than a VFR. Still, it is no slouch. It makes good power from down low in the RPM range. I replaced the SV with a VFR this summer - and it has proven to be better over distance - with the fairings and I also have hard bags. The SV was a great ride though.

10. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I would go for the SV650 as well. They are great bikes that you really can't outgrow (I hate that term BTW. Can't outgrow a bike unless you are only interested in straight line performance).

11. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I love my VFR, love just about everything about VFR's in general. However I don't think they make good first bikes. They weren't designed with new riders in mind. The SV650 probably wasn't designed for new riders either, but it is a far better bike than the VFR for the new rider.

One thing about the SV that I find so appealing is the fact they are like damn lego machines! Buy a naked bike if you want, or half faired, or fully faired. Mix and match pieces and come up with your own style. Mild touring, aggressive sport riding, commuting... it can do tall that. There are countless upgrades and accessories available for the bike too. Even though it is made by my least favorite manufacturer, they definitely hit a home-run with the SV.

With so many options and that kind of versatility, not only will you be learning HOW to ride on it, but you will also learn what TYPE of rider you are going to become. More of a sport rider? More of a commuter? More of a tourer?

Whatever route you go, make sure that you are learning as much as you can. Proper technique and ATTGAT will ensure many years of enjoyment. Or obsession. Depend on if you are asking the rider or the spouse!

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I say go for the vfr but put real sliders on before you it i:jason:t! If you flop over at a slow speed with sliders -not too much will happen-got to learn sometimes-might as well be now-if you screw up you can all ways sell me some spare parts!:bravo:

13. viffer800

viffer800 New Member

So heres an update on my VFR search I went in to see the bbike on I sat on it and the bike and I could actually almost flat foot but I'm about half an inch away on both heels. it has 20,000 miles on it Michelin tires zero gravity windscreen I can't remember the name of the exhaust but they're titanium. I asked him about the valve adjustment he said you supposed to get it at 30,000 miles cause its a touring bike. he has the manual tools for it that came with going to have it cleaned and detailed. he said he said sit on the center stand and runs it once a week because he doesn't ride it as much as he used to since he's an older guy in his 50's his back hurts he is also going to have it cleaned washed and detailed for me along with a matching helmet that actually fits me. could this be a dream or is it a nightmare help

14. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    ^ Lowering kits are a dime a dozen if you want to lower her a bit and be flat footed^ *recommended*

Will he dicker on the price?

Since he's an older guy in his 50's I am 53 :tongue:

15. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    WELCOME! I highly recommend a lighter bike for a first rider. However, if you're mature & take your time, a larger bike can be done safely...it's just not the BEST plan.

How much bicycle riding have you done? If a LOT & current on it, riding a motorcycle will be very similar but for WEIGHT. If you've not done a LOT of hard bike riding, you'll have a longer learning curve. EXPECT to drop it at some point. Even if you have balance/legs from bike riding, the weight difference is massive.

It sounds like a great bike. Regardless of which bike you decide on, go to a large, empty parking lot & do a few hours of takeoffs/stops, tight turns, & shifting to get yourself familiar BEFORE you do any road. Practice taking off while turning left & right, threshold braking with BOTH brakes, both straight line & while turning gently, and riding as slow as you can as long as you can around the parking lot. Get a feel for the weight of the bike & how it reacts to different inputs at different speeds & turns. Finding out what it's like to hit a gravel in a curve at 10 mph is scary, but a thousand times less scary than doing so at 65 mph. The more time spent doing this in the relative safety of a parking lot, the more comfortable you'll be when you get into traffic. There's nothing as unnerving in traffic as sitting at an intersection with a bunch of vehicles & killing the engine 6 times because you're in 3rd gear~

Find an experienced, STABLE rider to take with you & show you the ropes. This will help immensely.

For a first time rider, the thrill of the incredible acceleration of a bike is INTOXICATING, but you need to resist the urge to wring the throttle out until you've mastered basics & can threshold brake to a full stop with confidence! This will save you money, hurt pride, a little regret, & maybe some skin....

Also realize that by commuting you're going to wear tires A LOT down the center, so Michelin PR3 or similar tire with the harder center section is going to be the way to go. Commuting will also mean you're going to be replacing tires more than with just casual riding, so figure that into your costs. Sure, gas & insurance will be cheaper than a cage, but $300+ for tires can hurt if you're not prepared for it. Make a maintenance plan, including oil changes, chain, & tires, at what mileages, & what approximate dates you think you'll hit those mileages. This will help you plan for those expenses.

Good luck!

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I am going to lower my vfr for sure because if I don't I will tip it over one of these days for sure-perhaps get the vfr but first get someone to lower it and put the sliders on too.

17. viffer800

viffer800 New Member

Thanks alot man. Now that I think about it the bike has those Michelin PR3. As fas as bike experience I would always rode my bike im traffic heading to school. Maintenance wise I still need to figure out pricing for all parts and which ones I should buy. If you guys know a link to a forum about maintenance that would be helpful. Planning will help since I figured I can change yhe oil after 2 months. How much is the calve adjustment? Ibe read some guus never have done it. There are a couple of SV650 and honda hornets in my area but they're askong 3400 + some owe $700 in registration fees some have 40K+ miles with extended mods. I know the vfr is the best choice what was putting me off was the size but I feel good on it.
    Yhe only thing on my head is he said valve adjustment is at 30k how much would that be?

18. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    About that valve adjustment, I believe the first one is at 16K, not 30K. That means he just didn't do it. Might want to add that to your haggle game.

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ok..I would offer 4,000....then since Im only 5'6 what I did was had the stock seat cut between my thighs an the top a tad...then put Lustracing triangles to lower a bit...remember never be in a rush when moving around parking or in the garage

ALWAYS have the stand down when moving around...so GO FOR IT....OH R&Gsliders would be a good add on also JMO

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ok..I would offer 4,000....then since Im only 5'6 what I did was had the stock seat cut between my thighs an the top a tad...then put Lustracing triangles to lower a bit...remember never be in a rush when moving around parking or in the garage

ALWAYS have the stand down when moving around...so GO FOR IT....OH R&Gsliders would be a good add on also JMO