2002 VFR Fairings On a Older Model ?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by wolfcoyote, Apr 11, 2012.

1. wolfcoyote

wolfcoyote New Member

I have A 2000 VFR 800 And the previous owner rode it of a cliff.. so i have to get all new fairings, a friend who knows a lot about most bikes told me that he wasn't sure but, the next gen VFR fairings would fit.. that the bikes were almost the same bolt for bolt besides the gas tank .. so my question if anyone can answer it is .. is that true ?

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    gas tank is different but similar enough that can be made to fit if you tweak the flange where the hinge mounts. Haven't thought about it before or seen it done myself, but with the purchase of the front fairing stay as well, I bet it can be done.

3. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
  4. wolfcoyote

wolfcoyote New Member

Hmm I'm wondering even if it's Gunna be worth a try then, I was just thinking of monetizing it a bit

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    fairing stay ~$100 on ebay
    headlights
    both sides, upper, and possibly the inner V

then there would need to be some customizing around the gauge cluster. I don't think the 6th gen will plug into the 5th and the 5th would likely not attach to the 6th gen fairing stay without some convincing involving much beer and crayons on a garage wall.

Lastly you would need to modify a plastic to fit around whatever gauge cluster was put on.

At least that's my take. Will be interesting to see if others chime in who may have seen this done or who have owned both a 5th and 6th gen. I do not have hands on knowledge of 6th gen plastic - just what I know from pictures.

6. wolfcoyote

wolfcoyote New Member

Ha i meant to put modernizing ...sounds like it could be too much of a pain.. but now that you said something about the gauge cluster .. its bashed up to and i need to find one or rebuild it .. my goal is to make it look a little newer one thing i am going to do is run the exhaust under the tail and maybe a HID conversion on the head light..

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Oh stop your whining. It looked simple from here.

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It's a chore. It can be done, but you will be out way more money than replacing with the parts made for the bike. And that's not even getting into the headaches of it. You are talking about fabbing up mounts for the gauge cluster or for the front fairing stay from the 6th gen, new headlights $$, front and side fairings, then your fairings don't quite flow with the rear so you need to do the mod tink did on his 5th gen which cost a few $$, too. If it's your primary ride, I wouldn't do it. If it's just a project on an extra bike, maybe.

9. wolfcoyote

wolfcoyote New Member

it is just an extra bike, i traded a muscle car for 3 bikes and it was the worst off of the 3 i have all parts for it just not fairings and a headlight. the tank is in great shape besides a very very minor dent ... she looks good for being launched of a cliff lol but ya more of a project i almost thought about making a street fighter out of it but i plan to maybe sell it... or use it as a trade in on a newer one but its growing on me and my other half (wife) wants to keep it

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Anyone can do a street fighter.

You project idea would not be cheap by any means and take plenty of time. The more time you have, the cheaper it could be done waiting for deals. Best course might be to wait on a 6th gen parts bike.

11. wolfcoyote

wolfcoyote New Member

That's a good idea i have plenty of time