2001 VFR how many chain links and brand opinion

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by robm, Sep 5, 2007.

1. robm

robm New Member

Hi all,

I am going to replace my sprockets and chain (first time for me doing this) in the next few weeks. From what I have read on the net the front sprocket is 17 teeth and the rear is 43 teeth.

I am looking at a RK 530 chain: either the XSO of GXW, is there any major advantage to getting the more expensive GXW over the XSO for a VFR? Also, does anyone know how many links are on the chain (I read 108 on OEM). It would be nice to order a chain with the right number of links to avoid breaking the chain (I don't have a chain breaker other than my trusty grinder...)

Eventually I'll pull the old chain off and do a count...but if anyone happens to know ;)

Cheers
    RobM
    Oz

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

3. dale-j

dale-j New Member

+1 on that, I have the SOAP 520 conversion kit with the gold RK XSO and the Vortex sprockets, and you can't beat the bang for the buck. *HOWEVER* if you are looking for the best chain out there, my last DID went about double the mileage of the last RK I had, with similar care; the Vortex sprockets seem to wear a bit faster as well.

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    RK and DID are two of the best name brands...IMO. I thought the GXW was the "gold link" option. That's what I got, I like the bling bling! Yes, the 5th gen has 108 links.

5. Vee-Ef-Ar

Vee-Ef-Ar New Member

Gday Rob...

I opted for the RK 530GXW chain and sprockets {triple carbon steel} made from ChainGang in Brisbane. It will still be 108 links.

As for whether or not to go the XSO or GXW is up to your hip pocket I guess. I was told the GXW chain was better sealed and also more durable but I'm sure both chains are just as good. With the right maintenance both chains should last well. FYI I have only had to adjust mine once in 12 months of daily riding.

You can also remove and install the chain joined. I got a local factory shop who manufacture heavy machine sprockets to join the chain prior to installing ($5)

[​IMG]

One last warning, an aftermarket front sprocket might not come with the rubber damper. It's fine, just alittle bit more noise.

Have fun

Edit: I have also uploaded to my gallery some pictures I took along the way.