2000 VFR MFD question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by hooks88, Jun 22, 2003.

1. hooks88

hooks88 New Member

I recently bought a 2000 vfr.

My question is, when looking at the MFD (key out of ignition), you can see the time (normal) but I can also see the red line thats only supposed to come on when the coolant temp reaches 250 or above (according to the OM). The red line just started showing up recently. I never exceeded the coolant limits-not even close. Once I start the bike, everything is normal, the red line is gone.

To recap: with my bike in static mode and looking at the MFD, I can see the time and red line.

Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks

Mike

2. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

Any chance you just didn't notice it before? I believe the temp "gauge" is completely inop with the key turned off on my 98.

3. Qwerty111

Qwerty111 New Member

I posted this before.

My 2000 vfr does the same thing. The red line is still there when the key is out of the ignition. I think it is normal.

It appears that the red line is permanently printed on the display borad. That is, it is not electronically generated. When the key is turned on the display electronically creates a black line that covers the red line. If you exceed the temp range the black line generated by the display flashes on and off and makes it look like the red line is flashing.

It must be less expensive to have an LCD display ranther than a display that actually generates multiple colors.

4. hooks88

hooks88 New Member

Thanks both for the replies. I got the bike abt a month ago and maybe just didn't notice it.

5. Qwerty111

Qwerty111 New Member

Until you mentioned it I never noticed that the red line is always there.  When you mentioned it I took a look at mine and realized that the red line is always there and Honda was smart when it designed the LCD display.   Also, the clock on my bike shows the time when the key is out of the iginition.