20,000 miles later and 13 YEARS after rolling off the assembly - Helibar installation with a broken

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by fieldsanitation, Apr 14, 2012.

1. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    spacer/grommet...

so I was following the instructions, and looking for pictures/hints and checking out the pics here: http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/15496-6th-gen-heli-bar-install-see-before-you-try.html

and since I do most of my wrenching anyways, figured I could do it, even without a vise... after creating a contraption to keep the clips pushed back inside the housing by inserting coke can tabs up at the lip, I wiggled and cursed and got the damper out, but it came out weird... stuck to one side... WTF? so I finished sliding it out and a 13 year old rubber spacer was twisted up on one side of the damper.

[​IMG]

time to order some rubbers...

:mad:

here is my coke can tab jammies at work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. fieldsanitation

Map
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had hell getting the dampers out of my heli bars. I had to get help from SLOVFR who had a slide hammer and a drill press. we put them in a vise, drilled out the little divets, and then used the slide hammer to pull them out. They were still hard to remove even after drilling. All just to put some damn vibranators in. I hope those fuggers do something after all that!

4. fieldsanitation

Map
    my knee jerk reaction got me to order two of the rubber grommets at $2.95 each, and then I realized that the front grommet was also split on the side I pulled out... so I fumed some more, did a little research and said the hell with some rusted old weights, I'm stickin the old rusty's back into the stockers and I'll be putting the vibranators in the Heli's... I hope they show up on days that the wife works late... I don't need the drama

5. fieldsanitation

Map
    shit. the wife got the package in the mail. oh well... Heli's went on, Vibranators went in and the banshee peeled out of formation to do some hammerheads... YEAHHHHHHH.... changed out the grips at the same time, Heli's definitely make a difference in position. Vibranators... are there. I've been off the bike for a week so I don't know if there's much difference. Just happy to be back in the wind.