Bike for Sale 1st gen VF500F Interceptor Sold for $3,000 + $500 shipping

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by dxnVF500F, Feb 6, 2020.

1. dxnVF500F

dxnVF500F New Member

United States
    Map
    Sold for $3000 + $500 shipping to a buyer in CA in March 2020. Thanks for looking.

This has been my baby for the last 15 years or so. Always garaged and covered with a soft blanket. When I do take it out I even make an effort to park it in the shade to prevent UV damage to the 35-year old, original paint.

99% Original parts and condition. I have the OEM rear fender piece though it's not installed now. Paint on tank is bright and clear as if new.

The hand grips are aftermarket and the engine bars/frame sliders were added back in the 80's but could be removed for a more stock look.

This is the bike that started the sportbike revolution back in 1983. It still rides smooth and like a Honda, starts right up every time. Oil changed at least once or twice a year even if the miles only went up a couple hundred.
    Gets about 45 mpg. The previous owner had removed the fuel pump so it is currently gravity fed and therefore does not make use of the entire capacity of the tank. I've been told it's an easy fix if you can find the right pump but I never drive it more than 30 or 40 miles per outing so it's been a non-issue.

On 3-19-14 I installed a new li-ion battery ($109) at 30.8k miles. So in the last 6 years I've put 3,000 miles on it. I ride it about once a month on average. Just last month I changed the WA plate to Collector Vehicle status so it's now free registration as long as it's not used for commuting.

More photos coming soon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 New Member

United States
    Very nice bike - beautiful, indeed

3. dxnVF500F

dxnVF500F New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, it's been great for all these years. So reliable and fun to ride.

4. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 New Member

United States
    I want one - I have an 83 CB1100F im getting ready for the spring and a 77Yamaha XS400 cafe racer I did and want one of these next - do you know definitively if the cam issues on the early chain driven VF750 were also experienced by the 500s? Have you inspected the cams on your bike? Thanks

5. dxnVF500F

dxnVF500F New Member

United States
    Map
    I can't say I've had any engine issues in my 15 years with it, cams or anything else. Runs very smooth and strong.

6. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    "Have you inspected the cams on your bike" Sometimes very little warning before going BANG!!!! so that might be the reason for the question.

I'd like to know as well.

Regards

7. dxnVF500F

dxnVF500F New Member

United States
    Map
    No, I haven't inspected the cams. I've only ridden gently, never near redline. I fulfilled my need for speed decades ago and I get nearly zero chain stretch.