1st Bike

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Stinger, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Stinger

Stinger New Member

I am seriously considering a new 06 VFR800A as my first bike. I have ridden, ~12yrs ago YZ250. Is this too big a bike to get into?

[​IMG]

2. Rev

Rev New Member

Depends. It's been 12 years since you've ridden but how much HAVE you ridden? If you've done alot of dirt bike riding, you're probably okay. My first street bike was a CBR1000 but I'd been riding dirt bikes for years. I also took a motorcycle training class (HIGHLY recommended, btw). Rode the CBR for a couple years then moved to my '94 in 1997. Still have the VFR; don't think I'll ever sell it.

The VFR isn't as radical as a cbr/gsxr 600 (or bigger) but still has decent power and you can ride it all day. I say Go for it!

3. Stinger

Stinger New Member

I'm not some young chicken looking to cruise the strip and prove something. Just looking for something that is fun to drive to and from work as well as load up the hard cases and take a small road trip with the wife if we want. We do have weekend training courses here that I plan to take should this idea become reality.

:canada:

4. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    my biggest concern would be moving the bike or at slow speeds. At over 550, its a little hefty. It would be a much better choice IMO than any liter bike though as it won't power wheelie at the slightest chance.

Have you considered like an SV650 or an old Nighthawk or something. Alot of folks buy a smaller unit for a year or so and trade up, they are super easy to sell the next year. I wouldn't say don't do it just be careful, its a heavy bike with 100 HP at the rear wheel.

5. Stinger

Stinger New Member

Actually the bike weighs in at:

Dry Weight 219 kg (483 pounds)

Weight isn't a factor for me. I'm quite use to tossing around a 500lb F7 sled. I'm really going for that sport touring look or not at all. Similar to the FJR's.

6. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Motorcyclist magazine weighed the gen6 at 553 wet. What difference does dry weight mean, when was the last time you rode a bike with no battery, radiator fluid or gas?

7. Stinger

Stinger New Member

About the same difference between me weighing 175 or 225.

:der:

8. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

The VFR is a great bike even if you arent super experienced. I have a 2007. Before this I had only ridden harleys and some dirtbikes years ago. It is a totally different beast, but very well mannered and really cool looking/sounding. It is fun enough to be spun around on like a sport bike but comfortable enough to cruise around on too. Get that bike! :dance:

Look at the Triumph Sprint ST, the VFR, or smaller bikes like the SV, or a ZX6, but the ZX6 has a more aggressive stance.

Most importantly, get something your going to be stoked on riding for a while. If you get a little trainer, and get tired of it in 2 weeks, your going to be upset and poorer for it.

9. Stinger

Stinger New Member

My thoughts EXACTLY :mod:

10. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    I would say go for it! if your okay with a heavy bike then the viffer is for you most guys that get on a bike for the first time drop the bike at slow speeds or in the parking lot once your moving weight isnt as much an issue any more. the viffer is a very refined bike especially gen 6 if you dont want to go fast it drives just fine under 6000 rpm in all most all conditions. the local bike training school has 2 of them not sure if they train new riders on them but they have them. you cant go wrong fun bike comfortable and hardbags match up to gen 6 good luck !!:biggrin:

11. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    exactly! All we need to do is stop eating and we'll rip! I lost 30lbs the past year the exact weight of my daughter and I can't believe the difference carrying her up stairs etc realizing I was carrying that extra all the time, no wonder knees hurt.

IMO your snowmobile experience definitely plays into being familiar with riding. Just the idea of high speed, throttle brakes etc.

The other school of thought is to buy the bike you want even if you aren't totally comfortable, and just be really careful, that way you skip one bike purchase. Either way good luck the VFR sounds like the one.

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just my thought on it or two, Might depending on funding, go for an 04 for a bit less money same bike, or even better, and no I'm not preaching 4th gen, you might look into one of those as well, they're more sportier, and yes they are. it is what it is. all said thou, you can't go wrong with any VFR. thou I'd for the sake of keeping it simple stay away for the ABS model. ok thats my .02 worth good luck, good to see you're at least thinking in the right direction.

13. Stinger

Stinger New Member

Why not ABS, it is a proven safety feature. I'd love to find a used one but the closest is 20hrs away.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think he was just referring to added complexity, added cost, etc. Granted it is handy to have if you ever use it acc to what I read from people who have used it. I really don't have an informed opinion on it since I have never ridden a bike with it. (I don't think I even have it on any of my cages)

15. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    theres been some threads about abs, seems to be a heated subject lots for and lots against some think it takes the contol away from the rider, for 1 timer i would say its a good thing especially if you ride in wet conditions or use it for commuting. i dont have abs but wouldent hestitate to buy one it dose add extra weight more cost to service but its a honda one of the most reliable bikes with great dealer sevice

16. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    own a non abs have ridden an abs model as well cant tell the difference under normal braking never tried to lock up abs so not sure how it responds.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep thanks Reg, just was referring to the complexity and IMO not really necessary. Put it this way, if I'm in a spot that abs is needed there's a whole lot more going on than my brakes being the problem. I'm a simple guy who see's the simpler the better. that and as stated yea it costs more too, so 20 hours out huh? oo that makes it tough don't it, well H then get what works for you as I said can't go to wrong with any VFR.

18. D.EAGLE

D.EAGLE New Member

Im in the same situation. You know the bike you want but am worried about the size of the bike. I would get the bike that makes you smile when you look at it and take it slow.thats what im doing.:biggrin:

19. Stinger

Stinger New Member

Talked to my buddy today and now all of a sudden he selling his 02 CBR600Fi at a good price. 7k Cdn w/4300km

:noidea:

20. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    Thats a good way to look at it every one wants a bike that gives you some kinda thrill when you ride or just looking at it. If you can push the bike around comfortably and use the center stand you should be fine i think thats important for a first bike. nobody i know has owned a wing as their first that bike really is a tank you almost need a tow truck to push that one any where but thats usurally a last bike then on to a electic scooter.:lever: