1999 VFR Emissions question

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Jester, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Jester

Jester New Member

Hi all, I am new to this forum and apologize if this question has been posted already.

I have seen that you can remove the emissions stuff from the bike, but am wondering if this helps performance any?

Thanks ;D

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

There are plenty of people that have put full exhaust systems on the bikes. This means the lost both they Catalytic convertor and the O2 sensors. Usually this is done in conjunction with the install of a Power Commander and using a new FI map. To do it right, you would want to have a custom map made on a dyno by a qualified tuner. That alone usually runs about $250. There really isn't much done to the engine itself that matters performance wise.

If you go to all this trouble, it will get you maybe another 5-10 HP peak and a few more ft-lbs of torque. The engine will run a few degrees cooler because it won't be running on such a lean mixture (factory setting for emissions control). Throttle response will be a little sharper. The big dip in the power at 5500 RPM becomes a little dip in power at 5500 RPM.

I have a 98 that I did all this too and love it. I also have an 01 that I have done nothing to other than adding a K&N filter and it runs great, just as much fun! In retrospect, I would not have done the engine stuff to the 98. I would instead put the money into upgrading the suspension. It makes it much easier to go faster when you can control the bike. The stock power from the engine is quite sufficient unless you are trying to race the VFR. This is what I have done to the 01 VFR and it made a world of difference!! The bike tracks better, feels more connected with the road, doesn't bounce and wallow through the corners, and generally just inspires a lot of confidence.

At most, I would do the K&N air filter, add your flavor of slipon exhaust so you can listen to that awesome V4 music, and forget about messing with the emissions stuff unless you just have money to burn. ;)

Adios,

3. Jester

Jester New Member

Yup, that answer's my question and then some. I have a Two Bros. slip on and a K&N, I also ripped off my snorkle leading to the airbox. Sounds awesome ;D!!

Anyone open the air box anymore then what it is now?