1999 fix radiator fan not working

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Darth Vader, May 22, 2016.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I've been doing a coolant change on the old girl and have discovered the fan doesn't work.In the 2 years I've owned it I can't remember ever hearing the fan.I took off the temp switch plug and grounded it with ignition on and nothing.Undid the fan plug behind the left hand fairing and tested it for voltage , nothing.So I powered the fan using a battery charger and some nails into the said undone plug and the fan spins so I know it works.I took the 10 amp fuse out the fusebox and it looked good but changed it anyway ,still nothing.I stuck the red probe of my multimeter into the fuse hole and no power is at the fusebox,all the other fuses have power because everything works just not the fan.Now I'm stumped where should I look next? ? ?

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    If you have no power at the fuse then the discontinuity must be on the feed side. There is a blue/orange wire from the ignition switch specific to the fan. I'd start by checking the 3-wire ignition switch connector and see if there is corrosion there, also whether you have 12v with the ignition on, to the blue/orange wire.

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thank you for your reply Cadbury (love you chocolate by the way) I know the po fitted an ignition switch just before I got it (lost keys he said) so maybe the wire isn't connected ? ? ?Now I have a place to look cheers.

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Had a bit of a poke around and cut the sleeve on the ignition wires to get a look at what's inside and discovered I've got 4 wires.Red ,black,black and white and a green.Not what I was expecting.
    Need to strip the front end to get to the plug.

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Got the nose cone off and the ignition out and have found the po had cut the 3 pin connector off the old switch and bodged it onto the 4 pin wire.It all fell to bits when I removed the tape so don't really know what was connected to what.So I've ordered the proper 3 pin switch and will fit that when it arrives.Hope this fixes the fault.

6. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    New switch arrived so I quickly opened the package and shot out to the garage.Plugged it in and switched it on,shorted the fan temp switch connector and bingo. . the fan spins . So it's job done, just need to put it back together
    Big thanks to Cadbury64 for getting me in the right direction.I love this site !

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I'm glad that you resolved your problem and I'm happy to have been some help. Just paying it forwards I guess.