1995 VFR After-market Fairing replacement

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by ianarm77, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ianarm77

ianarm77 New Member

HI guys, I just recently bought a 1995 VFR750F with some fairing damage. I have always been a big fan of the VFR and bought one that needs a little work. I have been surfing threw all the posts about aftermarket body work from thurn-motorsport.de and from Airtech-streamlining. I just want to make sure I do all of my research before I commit to a product. I guess my question is who makes the best fairings and if any of you guys have ever bought form either of these companies before and any feedback that you have about the product.

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    ianarm77:

Hello! My first question is what kind of damage? I was lucky enough to have a job were I learned how to repair plastic. It's not as hard as people think, but you have to do it right. The 97 (same fairings as your 95) I bought had pretty bad damage on the left side that has been partly repaired. I plan on doing the final stage early summer with
    the little bit of plastic repair left, body fill and paint.

Can you send pictures or descibe the damage?

I've seen the Airtech, but there is a fair amount of work to do once you get the fairing from them. So I decided against getting one from them.

Most people don't see the damage, except for one spot right now, until they get really close. Like I said, plastic repair is not all that hard.

Let me know, I'd be more than glad to help!

BZ

3. Rev

Rev New Member

I smell a how-to (with pics of course)...

4. PicVFR

PicVFR New Member

I agree with Bubba. Had a co-worker knock over my old, parked, 86VFR for 'minor' fairing damage. Got an aftermarket part and by the time I dealt with drilling for stays and clips and decent quality paint, I was easily over the cost of a stock piece ordered through Honda. Add up your costs and time and you might want to follow his advice or get a Honda replacement. Good luck.

5. ianarm77

ianarm77 New Member

Thanks for the info. The main problem is that I'm missing the two side fairings, so I need to buy some type of replacement. The front fairing has some actual plastic missing from it as well. I wish that I had all the plastic and only had cracked up stuff, but I need to get some type of replacement. I think I'll just give airtech a try. Hopefully I can find someone that can paint the fairings for a reasonable amount. Let me know if anyone knows of a good place to get them painted in the Dallas area. Thanks again guy's.

6. Michael Waite`

Michael Waite` New Member

Me personally I like the Airtech for the simple reason that it's fiberglass. Now correct me if I'm wrong Bubba, but repairing ABS plastic requires a plastic welder, which while not that expensive relatively speaking, it's a huge initial cost and the smell is riotous. Besides, I may not have an RC30, but I can make it look like I do. :)

7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Mike:

The great thing about ABS plastic, which most sportbikes use, is plastic welding is just one of the options available. Most two-part epoxy repair kits work on ABS.

The left fairing was about snapped in two when I picked up the 97. On a repair that big, and which is easliy accesible, was:

remove fairing
    clean backside of fairing w. soap and water
    dry fairing
    sand area around crack 3-4 inches out with 80 grit sand paper.
    clean off dust
    postioned fairing into proper position (had wife hold LOL)!
    mixed up Bondo Fiberglass repair (a.k.a. Kitty hair) and applied!

The trick is to get your first coat of kitty hair on where it is thick enough to hold the fairing together and smooth enough so you can build up a few more coats over the first coat. Also, there is a product called Plastex that is good stuff and it is great for small spots where kitty hair is too hard to apply, and will get in the way of components when you put the part back on.

When I begin the process again, I'll post pictures, and how too!

Paint, that's easy, look up "color-rite" They make OEM paint colors for bikes and other vehicles. Spray cans are 32.95 each:eek: , but they match! A friend of mine turned me onto them some time ago and he used them religiously (he used to fix up sportbikes and sell them). I only saw the color not match exactly a couple times.

TTYS!

BZ

8. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Bubba, I'm really looking forward to your how to post. I have a number of small cracks in the fairings and tabs broken off. I hate to buy all new plastic if it can be repaired. It's basically just stress fractures, nothing crash or drop related. What do you think - something I could repair myself?

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yes you can! :biggrin:

I will warn you, tabs are tricky, but never fear I know a product that is perfect.

The 94-97's are notorious for stress fractures. I fixed some already, but you can see the black lines of the cracks still. I just reinforced the other side so they would not get worse.

TTYS!

BZ

10. Soul_Purifier

Soul_Purifier New Member

Bump to this thread. Interested in more info on fairing replacements/repairs.

11. Mysta2

Mysta2 New Member

I've had a lot of experience with ABS plastic. I'm a modelmaker and work with it almost every day. The best thing about it is that you can repair it almost seamlessly (asuming the damage has not significantly distorted the material) Solvent works perfectly on it, try WeldON 3 for Acrylics. With it you can chemically melt it back together. This is almost always a superior choice to adding a glue between two broken sections. Once the join is dry, all the solvent has evaporated out leaving nothing but ABS behind. If it's in a high stress area you might need a backer or a stitch groove.

Stitch grooves can be carved in the back side after welding the break together. This groove would be carved (dremeled) perpendicular to the break, filled with a resin (Dental resin is ideal) and sanded flat. This repair is very strong and adds no thickness to the panel. Dental resin is ideal because the solvent for it is very close to the Weld On and bonds to the ABS very well.

Most of the aftermarket fairings that you can buy from places like Airtech are of fair quality, but they are fiberglass and manufactured in a layup process instead of injection molded which means that they will lack all of the internal bosses and clips, this can be a major pain.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Weldon is a mix of a non flammable solvent that dissolves a whole bunch of things and is the main fraction in solvent base paint removers ( Methylene Chloride) and superglure. Great stuff and will worlk with even the coded ABS plastics from way back. No particular drawbacks on how well it is effective as a bonding agent but ya better have your shit together and be ready to go before using the stuff. It is " RIGHT NOW !!!

A small caveat..When BZ wrote what he did in 1997, plastic welders were pricy. The current ones from several online suppliers are well made and a lot less money.

The Bondo product line is epoxy and polyester base and unless giver a really rough surface as pointed out using 80 grit paper and removing the paint from the plastc substrate, the bond is not all that good.

Also "Bondo" is a line of products not just one fix everthing in a can stuff. The original Bondo is still wunnerful stuff if used right.

13. SierraVFR

SierraVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I purchased a Thurn front end for my 92 several years ago. The fit is not quite as tight, but at least the fiberglass will not stress fracture repeatedly. Currently, my rear end that is falling apart at the signal light mount from stress fractures. Somebody knocked by bike down in the parking lot shortly after I got the Thurn. The fall crunched the front and bent the handlebar. The body shop was able to make an easy repair with the fiber glass. I suggest if you want to keep the bike a long time. Go with the Thurn or Airtech. In the event new paint becomes required, you'll be glad you did.