1991 VFR750 Starter missing when bike gets warm? It will start.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by flya750, Dec 15, 2018.

1. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    Hello,

I have a 1991 VFR750 I bought new, 37k miles. The past few years when the bike gets warm, I go to start the bike and I hear a NASTY starter miss sound. Gears or something missing? If I keep trying to start it, it will turn over. This is getting annoying and I'd like to fix it? It doesn't do this when the bike is cold? Just after its been running for awhile.

Would these be just getting a new starter? Is there something that is commonly known for the 3rd Gen's ?

Thanks,
    flya750

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    probably NOT the starter, more likely the starter clutch (a common problem), which can sometimes be fixed easily with replacement of 3 small springs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  3. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    yeah, I've read about starter clutches being an issue on the VFR? But is that for the '91 VFR (3rd Gen)? I like easy fixes.

4. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    I did some more searching and it looks like my 3rd Gen would have the infamous starter clutch issue. I found some youtube videos, going to check them out. Thanks!

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    it's good to have a new clutch cover gasket b4 jumping in.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I did it on my 93 that I got back in 2013, bike had 15,000 miles or so. Easy job, but Honda charges you for ever spring, part etc. Makes a SOUR note after you deal with Kawasaki who sells you the entire shooting match for aboot 100 bux or so.

Flip side, my 91 with 80,000 miles never needed a sprag clutch but the starter motor would get wonky after getting bike thoroughly hot. Cure? Over-hauled starter motor with new brushes and bike starts and sounds just like a new bike off the showroom. Hot cold, don't matter...Peace

Attached Files:

7. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    Was your starter clutch plate cracked or did you just need a starter rebuild?

Based on your comments about rebuilding the starter, yeah my starter symptom only seems to appear when the bike is warmed up. It seems pretty easy to fix any starter clutch issues, I wonder how hard it is to swap the starter with a new one?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    There are fibre and assorted metal spacers involved when you break the starter motor apart, there is a magnet involved so when you pull the rotor out, the washers and associated spacers on the shaft can get (read fall off- & screw you up.) You need to get the shimming correct or it won't work. I am sure if you have the factory repair manual there is an amp draw test you could perform on the starter motor. What else? hmmm there is a 100 dollar starter on ebay -
    Starter For Honda VFR750F VRF750FVRF750C Magna Magna Deluxe CF750C2
    eBay item number:
    keep us posted if you buy one, would be curious - peace outtie - No, the plate was not cracked on my 93 bike btw. My Kawasaki made a crashing horrible noise when the one way clutch would lock up upon hitting the starter button. I replaced a few of them on those. 93 bike I wanted to do it, thats about it...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  9. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    Yeah, I would not be rebuilding my starter, I will be buying a new one. I've seen for for around $100 bucks. I did some more checking and it doesn't look too difficult to get the starter out? Maybe some hoses in the way? I hope not?

I will be taking over the plastics and crankcase cover soon to see more of what I got, but I suspect I have what you explained a starter issue and not necessarilfy a cracked starter clutch plate. I do plan on replacing the starter clutch parts when I'm there anyway.

10. Plavna

Plavna New Member

Serbia
    Did you ever solved this? Have the same problem and suspecting the starter motor. New battery, starting fine when cold, hot but sometimes it will make grinding sound when hot, but not very often. So its not free spinning, its like stuck gear then it countinues to crank and starts fine. Very rare but I want to solve that.