1990 VFR Fairing Repair

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GeorgePBurdell, Jun 18, 2021.

1. GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell New Member

United States
    I have a 1990 VFR that was in almost pristine condition. During a recent move, it slipped on the trailer and suffered some minor fairing damage - cosmetically, it is going to be fine, but it is no longer quite so immaculate. One of the issues is that the left middle fairing got "popped" out of place - it looks like the 1/4 turn fastener at the front of the middle fairing piece that joins it to the lower cowl/belly pan section essentially broke off/damaged the "tangs" that engage the fastener - at any rate, it will no longer engage. I've repaired the damage done to the middle fairing mounting hole, but can't seem to find the correct part number for the riveted on "clip" that engages the fastener. Does anyone know what part number or of a source. Best I can find, it would appear Honda only sold the lower cowl as an assembly and didn't have a separate number for the attachment plate.

I can use a "speed nut" type of fastener, but then the attaching bolts won't be "original" and won't match the other side.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    are you talking about a DZUS fastener? You can get them everywhere. Pics will assist at this point

3. GeorgePBurdell

United States
    I would have said a Dzus fastener also - but near as I can tell, the "clip" that the retaining "bolt" fits into has only two small "tangs" that the fastener engages and pulls into. The clip doesn't show as a separate part on the Patszilla diagram. At least the fastener that was in place before the incident will no longer engage with the retaining clip that is riveted into the lower cowl assembly. From the diagram, the bolt it looks like it is s supposed to look like this - https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/90112-MT4-000?ref=c5f806b299ec3d20c83f8ec351165b0d805ab4e8

but that's not what is in the remaining 6 positions. A bolt like the picture does hold the lower cowl to a bracket that attaches the rear portion to the frame.

The Partzilla diagram does show this assembly and that is what I have in place - but the "receiving" clip appears to have been a part of the lower cowl assembly. The fastener no longer engages properly with the clip - and it is that clip/retaining "speed nut" that I'm trying to fond.

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, now the above is a metric hex bolt with a shoulder so you can't over tighten it and crush the fairing. easy to replicatiate. However that will not be a quarter turn bolt - its just the wrong design for it.
    All the quarter turn bolts on Hondas are Dzus.. & will have a cross head on the bolt.

I suspect you want this.
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/64507-MN4-000?ref=d2b0b82da1db2d2fa27a8691c557b2848d63ca0e
    & if so you will also need this washer to hold the 'bolt' in place .
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/64509-KE8-700?ref=258e646a02ed8f52f3e64397760b8d527e239b41

Show pictures of the fairing & what you have & lets go from there.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. GeorgePBurdell

United States
    The bolt is what is in place - and I have that. What I don't have is the retaining clip that is mounted to the lower cowl piece. From what I can tell by feel is that this clip has some tangs/fingers that engage that slot on the 1/4 turn fastener - at least that is what I feel on the others. The clip in question appears to have had its tangs/fingers damaged when the leading edge of the middle fairing piece got "sprung" and the 1/4 turn fastener essentially broke out of the recess it mounted through to attach to the frame. The attaching bolt will screw into any other position and none of the other bolts will engage in this one position.

I can easily use a generic metric speed nut and bolt - easily available - but was hoping to find a source for the retaining clip that would match to allow the reuse of the proper fastener. I may try some of the generic Dzus type clips - again, easily obtained - even if they don't appear to be the same style. If they engage, it would allow the reuse of the proper bolt.

I will try to get some pictures later today.

cblues likes this.