1984 VF750F Interceptor - brake lines/ pads/ exhaust pipes

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by captainmook, Aug 5, 2016.

1. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Greetings to all --

In the process of fixing up my bike, 1984 VF750f Interceptor-- slowly getting some things done to it as the money becomes available. My intention is to restore it to as close to new as possible, no intention of selling it (as of now!), but wanted to ask a few questions.

New tires - check
    New battery - check
    New fork seals - check

Next on the list is brake lines and pads - originals still on it, but finding the right replacements (brake lines) is proving difficult, since the guy who sold me the bike has yet to include the manual with size/ length specifics (especially for the brake lines). Can anyone tell me the length is for the front and back lines ?? Recommendations for what brake pads are good, without breaking the bank ?? She's a work in progress, diamond in the rough, sounds great and runs pretty good, even at this early stage of my ownership.
    Posting a couple pics, also want to find original pipes for this bike, don't like the ones on it and wonder if there's any out there worth buying.

Looking forward to the discussion, thanks in advance for all comments. "-)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Just did the same to my '83 last summer. Rubber parts on a bike that old generally get brittle and deteriorate with age and pollution. Partzilla has all the OEM seals, o-rings, boots available. I used EBC brake pads and rebuilt both the front and rear calipers with new seals. Are you looking to replace brake lines with originals or braided steel lines. Are your lines showing damage?

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Canada
    I used Goodridge in the U.K. There are a number of places that make stock size lines with stainless and a black coating that looks stock. For pads I used EBC. they carry a couple of different kinds. Look at the beginning of this forum for all the pertinent manuals and download them. Also put your location in your information box, you might find that someone who lives close by and can help out. Bike looks pretty good. good luck with you bike and keep us informed and with lots of pictures, we like to watch.

4. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada

Thanks for the reply with this info, always very much appreciated !! This bike is starting to grow on me, I had a great ride on it last night and I can definitely seethe future potential of this bike as it gets the improvements and love it needs. Going to try and be patient with it, but would love to get it done sooner than later !!

The brakes are fading a bit, not dangerous amount (especially in the front brakes) - back brakes are another story.... Bit of a bulge in the line when the brake is squeezed -- Plenty of fade, although again, they work. I'm not pushing the riding, but will start to enjoy it a bit more with the new tires on it.

(FYI - tires I bought were Bridgestone Battlax, had them on my '84 Nighthawk, awesome tire for the money, highly recommend: and the battery change was to a Yuasa High Performance Maintenance Free, high crank power, and much better than any battery from Canadian Tire. Suggest checking out www.powersportparts.net - found the battery there for $30 cheaper than anywhere else (even with the exchange rate), and it was in the U.S. - I live close to the border and I'm able to send it to a friend living in the states, so highly recommend this site for those who can utilize it.)

Anyways - mechanic at the shop I'm working with suggested the braided lines, and I'm trying to find the best compromise between quality and price. EBC seems to be a popular choice and a reasonably priced option for pads, so I think that will be the way to go. Suggestions for a brand of braided steel lines ?? And while I'm asking, I might as well inquire about rotors as well.... The discs could well use a cleaning also, but if a full replace is in order, any suggestions on brands ?? (Again, compromise between price and quality, leaning towards quality....)

Another question.... Are the exhaust pipes from this era of bike ('83 - '85) the same on the VF 500/ 750/ 1000 ??

Looking forward to the continued dialogue here, thanks for all the advice !! I'll post pics as I make the improvements to this beast !!

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Sorry, can't help you with braided lines, I put mine on back in 85. But if you need stock lines I still have the lines I took off back in 85.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Goodridge makes lines in different lengths that you assemble with the fitting angle of your choice. If you cant find a ready made kit (and even if you do), I highly recommend this option. You'll get exactly what you want.

7. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    The only new exhaust pipes I've seen are in England. They seem to be "Modern Classic" bike crazy! Go to Wemoto. Not priced too bad, either. I believe the 750's have a unique muffler. 500 or 1000 won't fit. Or you can look for a used set. I've only found crappy ones, so far. I'd like a set of stock mufflers for my 1987 VFR700F2.
    There's some stuff on Ebay, lots of carb parts online, and a couple of guys on the forum work on carbs as well. You may be surprised at the amount of new consumable products that are around for the 750's, yet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    On my 84 I had Velasco pipes, boy did they scream.... Check
    Searchtempest, you may luck out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Canada
    For pipes your best bet is searching used parts online. Wemoto carries the muffler, but not the rest of the exhaust. I got lucky and scored a complete Yoshi system with the Pro can (loud), mine came with what I thought was a stock system and it was except for the muffler. I checked the part #s on the mufflers and it turns out they were from a vf500. It did not look like anything was modified so I would assume the 500 mufflers would fit. The question then would be do they hinder performance, that I don't know.

10. bkovalen

bkovalen New Member

Canada
    Map
    I think that it's great that there is still appreciation out there for the older bikes.

Sorry I can't help with the parts as I have also had to scramble to find the odd piece here and there (new upper rad, shifter, etc). It is getting a bit more difficult, there are still parts out there.

Here's my 1984 vf750f which I've had since it came out of the box! Good luck with yours!

20160417_114100.jpg

11. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Went on wemoto.com, found the pipes -- expensive !! But they're new and right, so I'll definitely keep them in mind. Thanks for the tip !!

12. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Went on wemoto.com, found the pipes -- expensive !! But they're new and right, so I'll definitely keep them in mind. Appreciate the tip !!

13. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I bought a 1985 VF750FF in Calgary, a few years ago, don't want to sell this one, ever!
    Man, sure wish I would've kept my VF750FF that I bought new! How many k.m.'s on yours? That's pretty rare to hear that you've had it since new?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  14. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Got me some new (used) original pipes - into it for $120 USD, plus a $10 delivery charge. They look pretty nice online, hoping they are as nice in person. Picking them up this week, and hope to install them ASAP. Will keep you all posted !!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    Mb2

There is a 3 Character ID stamped on the Silencer.
    MF2 = VF500F
    MB2 = VF750F
    MB6 = VF1000F

If you end up with MB6 and they don't fit, Call Me.

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I have stock VF1000F mufflers mounted on a VF750F. They slide down a little further on the gaskets, but they do fit.

17. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Working on it now -- looks like a fit for a VF750 !!
    [​IMG]

18. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    [​IMG]

Pipes are on, look awesome and bring it back to the original state -- love the look !!

Now I have a quandary .... My horn --

I have to replace the horn, found a great replacement on eBay, wiring is set and I tested the horn, sounds perfect -- problem is, I can't get the original off of my bike .... It's driving me crazy, I used liquid wrench, and can't manage to budge the bolt to take it off. Is there something I'm missing here ??? I can't seem to figure this out, and I am wondering if there's an easier solution; the manual I have doesn't specify removal of the horn for replacement. Any help or advice here would be most welcome, I would consider it a huge success to fix this !!! All thoughts and advice are welcome.

19. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    You still have the stock lines from your bike ?? They must still be in pretty good shape I'd think, if you only used them for one year ?? Thoughts ??

20. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just dremal the bolt, but protect the rest of the bike whilst you do it.