1984 VF500F in tank filter screen

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Karolis, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Karolis

Karolis New Member

Lithuania
    Hi all,

im new to vfrworld and motorcycles.Well had a scooter some years ago but...does not count.
    Recently got 1984 vf500f for 500€, had to clean rusted tank and petcock filter screen got damaged.
    Couldn't find new one anywhere.Maybe there is same part in other, maybe newer models?
    and some pictures, noticed its a must :)
    IMG_20191024_121400_1.jpg IMG_20191024_121541.jpg

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    you could try an external filter between tank and carbs. :Yo: how many miles or km's on the little red heart-breaker ?

3. Karolis

Karolis New Member

Lithuania
    Well dash says 60k km, seller said its 80k km but it was rebuild 5ish years ago, done 3k km and sat unused for all that time.
    I derusted tank(like 10pin holes opened at the bottom, epoxy glued for now.) cleaned carbs and it started. looks like runs fine, but i cant test it outside parking because no license plate yet.
    I placed inline diesel filter for less restriction than paper gas filter between tank and carbs. just thought original one in tank would be nice.
    One fork side is leaking, is it long or special tools requiring job to change seals without experience of such ?

4. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I got one from David Silver spares in the UK a few years back. You very occasionally see them on Ebay. They are a pig to fit in my experience. I wold go with an inline filter in the fuel line. There are little filters in each carb too near the float valves if you find problems with the flow rate.