1984 VF500 No Spark - but an odd symptom

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by 1Luke1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. 1Luke1

1Luke1 New Member

United States
    Alright so working on a 1984 VF500. Bike has ran before a few times while in my possesion, but now wont start. One of the issues Im having is no spark. Seems simple enough...until I started digging in. Ive already went through factory manual troubleshooting and all the wiring for the starter switch, and kill switch is working and good order. All of the wiring checked out and switches checked out as well. Coils checked out as well as plug leads, brand new Ngk plugs. When testing pulse generators I didnt get any resistance on any of the wires....which manual says should be in a certain range between white\yellow and white\blue but I had nothing. I would assume the pulse generators are bad, but the bike has ran for a few minutes in my possesion before so I find it a little odd. As of this point Im assuming theres an issue with either the pulse generators or the spark units which seem to be a common problem on these bikes. This is where it gets weird. While cranking the bike like normal with the kill switch in run position I have no spark at all.....but if I crank the bike repeatedly while rapidly switching the kill switch from run to off I get intermittent fire on all of the plugs and bike will backfire and try to fire but still wont start. Now in my mind, this points to kill switch\wiring but it all tested out fine as well as the wires being good and a visual inspection confirmed nothing looked burnt etc......is there something Im missing? Im stumped. Thanks for any help guys this bikes been a pita so far.

2. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Unplug the killswitch

3. 1Luke1

1Luke1 New Member

United States
    Does nothing..

4. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Many years ago I had a similar problem. The thing was when the bike tried to start my tach would go haywire! Ended up being the spark unit. I have since replaced my spark units from dualcam on ebay.....

5. 1Luke1

1Luke1 New Member

United States
    Thats what I have been thinking I figured it was bad units or the pulse gen....just dont know why I cant get a reading on the pulse gen.