Wanted 1983 cm450a carb insulator(s)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Thorinn Oakunsheyld, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Thorinn Oakunsheyld New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah I know it's not a vf(r). Looking for at least one or preferably two carb insulators for a hondamatic bike. Had hoped the carb was the same as my 85 450 nighthawk, but no. Part number is 16211 -MC1 - 000.
    Distinctive because MC1 is stamped on the outer radius, so easy to identify if loose in a mixed bag of parts. Happy to pay US$ and shipping to Canada. Posting here since I know many of our members have multiple makes/models and have spares. Also willing to trade some vf 500, cb500, Cm450a goodies if preferred
    Thanks for looking...

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    CMS in the netherlands has alot of parts for older bikes but $hipping is a killer.

Thorinn Oakunsheyld likes this.
  3. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    I checked the K&L supply catalog and they don't even mention that P/N or even the CM450 at all.

Hard to believe as that bike was common as nails back in the day, even the Auto version.

Ebay may be your best bet, but they may only have used ones, which may not do you any good.

4. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Canada
    Map
    Thanks Jim. Have been on there but very inaccurate listings. Often says "will Fit" but lists my other bike as also fitting and I know it doesn't have the same carburetor bore (parts I already have I don't need more of). May have to eventually opt for Squirrelman's suggestion. Potentially Partzilla says "currently not in stock", though that may change. Worked in manufacturing, where we did "runs" for certain items, stopped 'til demand picked up.
    Just as patience is a virtue, and also a card game, marriage isn't just a word it's also a sentence. But I digress....

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Unfortunately, that part # only fit two Honda models, the '82 and '83 CM450A and CMSNL doesn't have them. However, the 1983 CM450E shares the following part numbers with the 1983 CM450A:

Cylinder Head: 12200-MC0-000
    O-Ring, 40x2.5: 91325-413-830
    Band, Insulator: 16219-ME9-000
    Bolt, Flange, 6x18: 960000601800

This would indicate that the 450A and the 450E have the same cylinder head, the same insulator flange o-ring, insulator band clamp, and mounting bolts. I don't know what could possibly be different, maybe the insulator I.D., or the A carbs have something odd on them. The CM450E Insulator is Part # 16211-447-670.

The 16211-447-670 can be found here: https://www.servicehonda.com/oemparts/p/honda/16211-447-670/insulator-carburetor

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Thorinn Oakunsheyld likes this.
  6. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Canada
    Map
    Thanks Norcal; Seem to have found a solution. Guy in New Jersey has two. Appreciate the information. Was on other sites looking for parts and trying to cross reference on partsfish. Nothing was lining up. Now I can see why. Someone on another thread previously posted about 'unobtainium' -- very apropos.

7. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Canada
    Map
    So... still not. Had messages from scammers. Couldn't provide details or pictures of parts. One said New Jersey,
    but send money to our branch in California. Very cheeky. Search continues...