1979 Honda NA50

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by John painter, Aug 26, 2018.

1. John painter

John painter New Member

Not that I don't have fun with my VF500, but when I saw this '79 Honda Express for sale for $150 - granted it was in pieces, I just had to get it.

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum, the VF500 and NA50, but I have to say for a little engine the puppy has good low end, but it does top out at right around 25mph for me.

My big dilemma though was with the headlight, since it's a 5v system. No 5v bulbs around.. and I didn't want to buy an actual $35 Honda replacement bulb online so.... I snagged a $1 LED flashlight at Walmart that ran on three AAA batteries and hacked the LED's into the original light housing by desoldering the bulb from the housing (and smashing inside the housing) and taking the LED's and just soldering the backing from the bulb to it. Of course I don't have high and lo, but who cares I got a headlight that throws enough light to ride at night!

For a laugh, or two, here is me "easy-ridering" the Express.

Anyone else play with old scooters?

IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0467.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Few winters ago started a project on a 1977 Honda Trail 90..
    [​IMG]

Over two winters, I ditched the original engine, put a $400 140cc Chinese engine on it.
    Extended the swing arm, cut the frame, fabricated seat and body panels and converted it to 12V electricals.
    [​IMG]

Next to my 83 Honda C70 which has nearly all original parts...
    [​IMG]

John painter likes this.
  3. John painter

John painter New Member

Generally I prefer to stay stock or close to it, but that’s a sweet mod on the Trail 90!