190/50ZR17R Tire

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hamiltonfighter, Sep 27, 2014.

1. hamiltonfighter

hamiltonfighter New Member

United States
    Is this tire acceptable?

I have been riding my bike out of necessity the last couple weeks. The tire was going low a couple times over these two weeks. Had to drop it off (whole bike) at a shop because I didn't have time to take care of it myself. the shop said they were putting on the same tire, but when I got home noticed that it was a different size.

Is this size (190/50ZR17R) comparable to the 180/55 17? Will I feel anything different after putting some time on the bike?

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, unless they gave me one hell of a deal I'd want the stock size on my bike, just cause.

3. f3racer

f3racer New Member

4. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    I don't know what year your bike is. Different years had different width rear wheels. The '90-'93 has a 5.5" wide rear wheel while the '94-'97 has a 5" wide rear wheel. The 180 is too wide for the 5" wheel, let alone the 190. The 180 is perfect on the 5.5" wheel. That's what I have and it feels great, but to be fair, I have not tried the stock 170/60 to know if the steering feel is noticeably different between the two. The 190 should fit fine on a 5.5" I think. You may actually find the bike tips into the turn a bit QUICKER than with the 180, though, as the wider tire's crown will be more pronounced on the same wheel width.

Cheers,
    Glenn

5. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Actually the 180/55 will have a taller crown than the 190/50.

[​IMG]

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I ran 190 and have no issue
    Got more lean angle more than I need :rolleyes: Will switch back to 180 when I am done with this one.

7. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    f3racer, I stand corrected. Should have checked your link.

I did the numbers for both sizes. There is 0.315" difference in static tire diameter between both sizes. That makes the crown lower on the 190/50 by 0.1576" (about 5/32"). That's a pretty small difference. Not sure how deep the tread is on a new tire - 8/32" maybe. Scubalong is good with his. If it was me, I'd ride it, too.

I'm going to revisit that page you linked to, though, and read what he says about tire pressures. I know the pressures marked on the sidewalls are MAXIMUM pressures for those tires, but the manuals I have seen before list pressures for one-up and also for max load. Maybe other manufacturers don't list one-up?

Cheers,
    Glenn

8. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Most gsxr's show pressures for 2-up and 1-up riding. Its generally 2psi difference in the rear tire. I've always been taught to go off the owners manual/ motorcycle pressures not what's on the tire.

9. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Me too. :thumb:

10. hamiltonfighter

United States
    So should I go give the shop hell and demand the 180/55 or leave it as a chance to try it out until I need a new one? Not having to go back to the shop would be nice as I wouldn't have to deal with their crap and I could start riding now and not wait until Tuesday.

Will the 190/50 tire give me more of a lean angle?

11. f3racer

f3racer New Member

190/50 will not give you more lean angle and to be honest unless your an avid track rider you should be fine leaving it until time to get another.

12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I, for one, would want to know why they put the tire on there in the first place. Tire sizes are clearly marked on the sidewall so it shouldn't be an issue. I'd want to know just because I'd want to know. I'm sure handling isn't an issue, but WTF.

13. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    Id want a discount on the price . Give them the option of discount the price or fix THEIR screw up. Or get in writing a discount on your next tire.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Take it back and get what you asked for....WTF---- thats bullshit and I surely would let them know who ever worked on your wheel is incompetent. ....and how dissatisfied you are......dont let them get away with it..
    With a discount now that the inconvenienced you.jmo

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Calm down.....Ask nicely ;)
    FYI 190 is more expensive....!

16. hamiltonfighter

United States
    Well, the tech says he still had the size hand written on his notepad and it was the 190/50. I do think there is a chance I was wrong, so I'm not going to push the matter any farther. Probably not giving my money to them ever again either.

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Did you see it in person..hand written? I'm calm but this is how a lot of businesses operate these days...employee mentality.... everyone just wants to do there 8 and skate.
    Okey...I'm done...good luck

18. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    For what it's worth, when I had my Triumph SPrint RS, the stock tire size was the same as ours, 180/55/17. I needed a new back tire and I was in between things, so I put on a used track tire to hold me over a little longer. That tire was a 190.50/17. I never really noticed a difference. When it was time for a new tire, the shop put a 190/55/17 and I didn't notice it at the shop. After I did notice I didn't feel it was worth the time to go in and get it changed. One thing I did notice was that the bike with the stock sized tire would literally fall into corners, in an almost unnerving way. The 190/55 solved this. I felt like I could lean into a curve and it would just stay at that lean angle indefinitely. It was so stable at any angle that it felt like the handlebars were resting on a table. It gave me so much more confidence that I was able to actually get the bike low enough to scrape the pegs.

Now every bike is different, but the RS and the VFR were similar in handling, with the RS feeling a little more sport oriented.

19. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    A quality shop would check the size of tire before installing it. If you gave the wrong size they should have informed you before proceeding. They don't want to lose your business. Tell them to make you want to come back.

20. baxtre

baxtre New Member

United States
    I have a 96 VFR750F which takes a 170 60 17 rear tire. I've been getting 10k miles out of Mich Pilot Road 2s and would like to get another but they stopped making that size. From the discussion above I could mount a 180 55 17 and be happy. Any thoughts?