VF500 Carburetor line routing help!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by StreetLethal, Jun 19, 2018.

1. StreetLethal

StreetLethal New Member

United States
    Alright VFRWorld, I think it's time for me to reveal myself once more.

Back in February I created an account after buying an '86 Interceptor 500 in LA and subsequently made a few forum posts about it and some minor things. Only to have that culminate in finding out the engine was toasted and I wasn't sure what to do. HOWEVER! Over the last few months I've been busy. I bought and had shipped from Florida here to California an old '84 VF500C Magna engine with very good compression readings. After conducting my own tests they all read out to 150+. I did some wiring modifications with the neutral indicator switch, adjusted all the valves and its all working exactly as it should so far. Bet you all thought you'd never see me again!

Anyway to the point, I'm in the final stages of mounting the carbs but I'm having trouble identifying where certain lines are routed to. When I initially tore-down the Interceptor the carbs were kind of a mess with a whole bunch of stopped-off lines going everywhere and some others I wasn't able to identify. I have seen this question asked before and I did in fact read the post but I couldn't apply it to my situation as I am mounting Interceptor carbs to a Magna engine (it's basically the same engine). The carbs no doubt were a CA model, while the engine is a 49 states model, so I'm bound to be running into some lines that will go nowhere, right?

For the pictures of the carb, would anyone be able to help me out with the lines I've circled in the pictures? carbsfuelside.jpg carbsotherside.jpg
    The red ones I would hazard a guess that they all do the same thing, but I'm not sure what. The green one, I have no idea. What about the lines circled in blue? I remember something about the plastic connector lines in between the carbs being some kind of float bowl breathers or something? The lines all form up in one T connector that just sits open underneath. I hope someone can shed some light on what all these lines do and where to route them. Moving onto the fuel tank, I know what line is the fuel line, but the other two lines circled, I have no idea and unfortunately looking back in my pictures log from the tear-down I neglected to take detailed pictures of where they went.
    fueltanks.jpg

I thank you all very much in advance for your help. VFRWorld has been an invaluable source to me in the last few months through my rebuild.

Full pictures below:
    carbsfuelside.jpg
    carbsotherside.jpg
    fueltanks.jpg

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The red ones are vacuum for the Cali shit. Just connect the front two to each other and rear two to each other. Green is a vent, it can just be capped. The blue is the real vent for the carbs, attach a hose and route somewhere pointing down so shit can't get into it. The red on the front of the tank is the tank vent (Cali bike caps are not vented). This needs to route somewhere pointing down but not exposed to the wind as it will create a vacuum and can pull a little fuel out when it is full. Blue on the petcock is the vacuum line. There should be an exposed nipple on the head right below where each of the 4 rubber carb boots are. The other 3 will probably have Phillips screws and crush washers.

spagiratwink likes this.