Tire Life

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by CYCLONE 2Cooper, Mar 7, 2018.

1. CYCLONE 2Cooper

CYCLONE 2Cooper New Member

United States
    On average, what kind of mileage can be expected for a front tire and a rear tire? Looking at a 2010 with reported 2K miles on the tires and wondering about when they will need to be changed. Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I know there are a lot of variables, but an average rider doing his share of twisties.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As you said, so many variables and no two situations are truly alike. That being said, the PR4 is known for getting some decent miles for many. I myself usually get 10-13k miles out of the rear tire and the same with a PP3 front I mate to it. My miles are mostly from commuting but do often get a few sport-touring and pure sport rides in enough to keep the tired from being truly square! I use the fore mentioned tire combo on my 6 Gen.

3. CYCLONE 2Cooper

CYCLONE 2Cooper New Member

United States
    I remember a guy (maybe on Youtube) reporting short life on a gen7 front. He thought maybe there was something about the front end weight or design that caused early front tire wear. Since then I haven't noticed anyone having the same complaint. I wondered if this was a common problem with the gen7 or did he ride that hard, under inflated, defective tire? It's been a while, but I think I remember getting about 6K on the rear and about 10K on the front of my ZZR1200 with Conti Road Attacks.

4. tomcatek

tomcatek New Member

Poland
    I have 3rd set od PR4s on my bike and previous 2 took like 25k - 28k km to end.

5. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    For me, about 6-8K on the front, 12K (miles) or so on the rear.

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map

Thats what blows me away on how anybody can get over 10k on a sporty bike tire, front or rear. Jeez,do ya know what that twist handle on the right bar is for? Dunno how to pull on the brake levers? (j/k) - I would love to get that much, but for me, it doesnt matter about the tire much - sport tires, I get 5k on front and 3k rear... sport touring mbe 5.5k rear and 7k front. Who knows? Maybe I ride harder?

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There are just too many variables to say but I can say the majority of the miles are commuting miles. However, when I am sport riding, I am not afraid to twist the wrist and I typically brake late and/or use engine braking to slow down, so can't say why it works for me. Kind of like MotoGP some guys have plenty of tire at the end of the race, others fall short several laps into or several laps before the finish.

I will say that the "pure" sport tires i.e. Michelin Pilot Power3, Pirelli Super Corsa, Dunlop Q2 that I ran lasted 5-6k, 2-3k, 2-3k, respectively. It was the Michelin Pilot Roads that last the 10-13k. (Even with a PP3 front) I'm currently on a set of the Road5s about 3K into them and they have plenty of tread left. That's even after two full days of track riding.

A decent sample of how I ride when "sporting" it can be found in this thread at post #4659
    http://vfrworld.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-vfr-today.46342/page-233

8. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    All situations are different but it is interesting (disappointing) to see all of the differences and comments. Personally I get from 1000 to 1500 miles per set. It gets expensive quick but it sure is fun.

9. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I get about 10k rear and an additional 2-3k on the front on my PR4 tires. Mostly fairly tame commuting miles though. Mileage varies widely based on tire and riding types.

10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I chewed out the Metzeler Roadtec 01s on my 5G in about 10,000km, probably the most I've gotten from a set of sport-touring tyres recently. I do ride in a brisk and spirited manner (but never fast) on 100% twisty roads with coarse-chip surfaces. The worst I've gotten is 3500km from a rear T30 Evo GT on my ST1100, that tyre just got eaten.

11. funwithbono

funwithbono New Member

United States
    I’ve got 13000 miles on my Road 5’s on my Blackbird (2nd set) and I’ve run Macadams, HPX’s, Roads, R2’s, PR3’s, PR4’s...the whole Michi food chain. On the VFR, the Road 5’s have 8000 miles so far and I expect the rear to last at least 12000...however, the front started experiencing major scalping at around 2000 running 36/42. Spoke to Michelin, got a new front, same problem. My VFR1200f does not like the Road 5 on the front. Just ordered a set of Angel GT 2’s (A spec) to try. Will let you know. If this doesn’t work, I’m going with a Road 5 rear and a PR4 GT front on my next go-around!