Purolator oil filter PL14610?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Devo83, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    Can anyone confirm that this filter fits a 3rd gen VFR750F?

I have read lots of great things about them, just want to confirm they fit for sure before driving this weekend to get some. They are actually a car filter but I have read that they fit the VFR.

Thanks in advance!

Devon

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

According to the Honda parts fiche, the filter for the VFR750 is the same as the one for the VFR800, so it should fit. That being said, the length of the PL14610 is a bit longer than the stock filter. On the 5 & 6 Gens the radiator hoses come quite close to rubbing against the filter, so double check the room on your bike. If the space seems a bit tight, the PL14612 is a shorter version of the PL14610.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I know the same filter that is used on Honda Civics fits well on the bike. The car filter is a bit larger but it can be easily squeezed into the space on the bike. Been using them for several years now. No leaks or issues of any kind using them.

4. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

I have about a 30 min drive to get these filters so wanted to make sure my info was correct.

Ride safe!

5. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm using the 610. No problem with fit/clearance.
    They work great.

6. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    CatHerder, apparently there was a design change in the filter and there have been fitment issues on other bikes. Do the filters you use have concave or convex face plates? The redesign apparently has a convex one and bottoms out before sealing causing a leak.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I need to do an oil change on the 01 soon, so maybe I'll grab one and see if the new design will be an issue. I just used my last one of the old design this past weekend on my 09 VFR. Although I can't say it will be the same for your VFR but most likely would be.

8. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    That number sounds familiar....
    Seems to me that it was what fit the 3.2L Chrysler V6 in the '99 Concorde...

Dang, just checked my oil change notes, it is the 14670. Likely I have one left over too.

Nice to know about alternatives though, I'll be watching this space for updates.

9. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Randy, are they cheaper? And does the extra size cause and benefit or fault other than fit? Thanks

10. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    I just installed a PBL14610 on my 2001. Purolator renamed the 'Pure One PL14610' as the'Boss PBL14610' and raised the price. They now manufacture a lower price model that uses the PL14610 part number. I do not know if there is any internal difference between the Boss PBL14610 and the standard PL14610.

11. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    I have not heard of a replacement of the Pure One as the Boss. Place I work still carries both.
    The Boss does have an internal synthetic element.
    I will check the concave/convex also.
    Could the grounding come from over tightening upon installation I wonder? There are people out there who tend to tighten they way too much.
    "Hand tight" is widely interpreted.

12. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    The extra size apparently still fits although tightly, but is a benefit due to more filtering medium.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I suspect they are slightly cheaper as they are sold as a car filter and not motorcycle specific which we all understand tends to lead to a higher price. I suspect there is better filtering qualities due to the larger filter surface, but I doubt it really makes that much of a difference. Thing is you can go to your auto parts store and readily find a filter for a Honda Civic but are unlikely to find one for a Honda VFR. Same holds true for the coolant. Even the Honda Motorcycle parts guy sent me to the Honda Car shop to get their branded coolant which he informed me is the exact same stuff, just branded different, and cheaper.

The car filter being larger does fit tighter, but you are fitting it past flexible coolant hoses. It does fit in easily by manipulating those hoses, which do not touch the filter once installed. I get my filters from Walmart by the half dozen seeing as I use them on three vehicles. Personally, I prefer Bosh. They are a little more expensive than many other but I have confidence in them. They do go on sale from time to time and I have found them that way one or two times when I was shopping for one

.BTW. The filter number is 3323. I think this number is the same regardless of the manufacturer of the filters be it Fram or who ever. Fram for the most part is a budget filter. I wouldn't use them.. STAY AWAY FROM K&N.

14. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    The Boss PBL14610 fits fine on a 5 gen. As OOTV warns - it does get close to the front transverse cooling hose. Hand tightening resulted in a no leak situation at operating temp in the garage, but I haven't ridden the motorcycle in earnest since this last oil/filter change.

15. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

Is the filter the same on your bike as the 8th gen? Thanks in advance

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That, I do not know. And I thought I knew everything. I would be willing to bet a nickel it is.

17. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    Spoke to the closest Purolator dealer today. There was a redesign but the ones they have in stock are all the old concave style. Going to buy the last 6 tomorrow!

I have heard of fitment issues on other bikes with the new convex design but nothing about issues on VFR's. Figured I'd play it safe and now I have filters for a loooong time, and I plan on using every one.

18. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    This pic shows the older concave design on the left, and the newer convex on the right.

IMG_6664.JPG

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm, not sure if the one you show here is an "interim" version, as I picked this one up today. Color and texture changed and a $1 more but cheaper than the "Boss" filter (PBL14610) that SfDownhill spoke of. Those were $11.99 vs $7.99. Unfortunately I haven't the older version off my bike yet, so can't do a side by side but this one looks like it too is convex shaped. Still, doesn't look it will cause any issues. This new texture looks like it will be a bit slippery if any oil comes between your hand and the filter. The rougher texture of the older version made it easy to put on and take off, even if your hands were a bit oily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    'A bit oily' is an understatement when describing my hands during an oil change. Though I've experience great progress in the 'general tidiness while wrenching' area, I still spill a bit more oil, drop a few more very small parts, and overspray cleaning fluids more than I like. Cheers OOTV - tanx for all the coaching along the way.