NZ Rides: a Kiwi travel log

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Richard Thompson, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    [​IMG]

after some consultation with der stuka i have decided to open up a seperate thread for kiwi rides. I posted the first one in the kiwi link here;( permalink 10)

http://vfrworld.com/forums/australia-new-zealand/20277-updated-kiwi-list-sign-here.html

so from this thread i hope we all will be continuing to post ride updates etc here....:thumbsup:

coming up this week end is the CYCLE SPOT HONDA grand opening of their newly updated destination store, which i will cover. so if any other kiwi VFR'ers are going feel free to let me know.

the grand opening doo is on from 1730 to 2030 hours (5.30 - 8.30pm) and there is also a ride organised by Honda riders club on the saturday too, leaving from the dealership and heading back there after 2 hours or so.

there are some prizes etc organised for attendee's.

So please do take the time if you can to stop on your ride,take a pic and then post it here with a few thoughts.like this...

[​IMG]

here we are outside 'patricks pie shop'. Home of the legendary pies that he has won countless awards for...

[​IMG]

Sorry the wrapper is all thats left!...but definatly worth a visit when your heading into tauranga via the Karangahake gorge.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Mince and Cheese pies......mmmmmmmm good!

Thanks for keeping the KIWI brigade alive and kicking Richie Rich! Maybe you folks in upside-down land need a KIWI insignia to keep your troops in line?

Keep the rubber side down brotha!

3. Richard Thompson

Map
    OK ....:thumbsup:

great idea! i whipped this up yesterday. what ya thunk?

[​IMG]

4. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

nice job - looks great.
    if possible can you send me one oce availible would go great with VFR world USA and Euro Div that I have on my bike now.:thumbsup:

5. deano845

deano845 New Member

Map
    nice logo
    As for rides, heres a south island list of up and comeing ralleys.

29-31st October, MATES rally at wiamumu
    19-21st November, Magpie Madness at Winchester
    4-5th December, CCMC 1000 miler

6. Richard Thompson

Map
    Paeroa ' Battle of the Streets 2011' NZ

This was held last week end in a small, but well known(some say Iconic) local township of Paeroa. The Racing is run through the main streets of the town and for this weekend the the towns roads are closed and its population increases 20 fold.
    The paeroa street races hve been going for many years now so it is well established as part of the NZ road racing circut during the summer season. Any how, heres a few images from the day...
    [​IMG]

Andrew stroud on the Britten V 1000 was a crowd pleaser and the Britten is still a sight to see and hear almost 17 years after the fact...

[​IMG]

The Britten popped power wheelies at will all around the track

[​IMG]

Former Kiwi GP rider and bike legend Graeme Crozby was at paeroa to promote his new book. He peeled off a few quick laps on this immaculate GSXR 1000 to show he still has the pace to keep the youg-uns honest!

[​IMG]

close up of the crosby bike shows it has a replica paint scheme of his RGB 500 Heron/Texaco suzuki of the late 70's, a team he rode in along side Barry Sheene.

[​IMG]

This last image is off the Castrol Honda NZ CBR 1000 fireblade tearing up the main street of paeroa!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  7. MasqUAP

MasqUAP New Member

Map
    So my partner has just accepted a job in NZ and it may come to the point where I join her. On that topic, what's the riding like in the dirty south of NZ? Her new job is in Dunedin which I believe is fairly cold most of the year (which I'm not averse to) but how are the roads for riding and is there much activity down that way?

TIA

8. Richard Thompson

Map
    Dunedin is the main city in southland (the southern part of the south island) and as such is a great base for motorcycle operations. it has all the infrastructure of a large city as far bike shops and servicing go. The weather is cold but only in the winter period when you can expect occaisional snow. as a base for riding it is ideally situated. You will find that the roads are mostly well maintained, the traffic density out side the main cities and towns is very light, the scenery is breath taking, and the choices for where to go...out standing!
    As an eample . one of my all time favourites on a warm sunny day is to head from Dunedin up and across to Alexandra, then thru the mighty Lindis pass and down to Springfield.
    From there you can either continue north towards Christchurch(Chch) or peel back towards the east coast, to Timaru and back towads Dunedin. Ive completed a circum-navigation of the South Island, starting from Chch I went North to Blenhiem, then on to Nelson (overnite) then down to Greymouth(overnite) then across Authurs pass toward Chch again before swinging down to Queens town (overnight) then thru the Lindis pass to Invercargill (obligatory trip to Bluff for pics there ) before heading back up to Chch.
    This is only one route and there are myriad options on how to do this trip which could include leaving greymouth and heading down the Fox glacier to Te Anau.
    So overall i'd say you will love motorcycling in that part of the world. the pemium months will be DEC thru to April, probably forget about it for Jun till September, the rest are optional and dependant on prevailing local weather patterns.
    One final note, ChCh is still in recovery mode from the devastating earthquakes in Feb, so there is significant disruption thru the roading around the CBD there. There are also still ongoing after shocks, albeit infrequent, but still on going. Dunedin has not, as a rule, been affected by them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011