Gen 6 LSL Super Bike Bars

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by grabcon, Jun 15, 2015.

1. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    So for those of you that have done this upgrade I have a question basically because I got somewhat lost on a couple of threads around the throttle cables. If you want to maintain the original throttle cable routing there have been some notes stating that you can change out the cable for longer cables. The options that I have seen are either the ST1100 or the ST1300 throttle cables.

Please clarify which ones are the correct ones? Thanks

2. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    So I got the LSL bar kit installed on the wife's 2008 VFR. Install took a couple of hours the end result although she has not ridden the bike yet is a big thumbs up on the riding position.

I was able to install the kit without disconnecting the clutch and brake lines. I removed the top tree and rerouted the hoses that way instead of disconnecting them. I used the original throttle cables and rerouted between the gas tank and top tree. At some point I may get longer cables and put them back to their original location. In my opinion the hardest part of the install is the hole placement for the hand controls. Left side is easy as the alignment pin is on the inside of the control and visible so it can be easily marked on the bars. The right side is more difficult as the pin is next to the throttle control and is not visible to mark so it is kind of a guessing game.

All clearances are okay, but not perfect. Both master cylinders do hit the windscreen when fully turned either way and the controls do not touch the tank they are very close. Any tip over and the might hit. Shorter clutch and brake levers may also be in the cards as they touch the mirrors when fully cranked.

All in all I think they are worth the money and effort.

3. geforce

geforce New Member

IMG_0098.jpg IMG_0103.jpg I drilled upper triple tree and put risers and a renthal bar. I used new st1300 cables.

Costed about $146 with brand new cables and a 6pack of beer. It requires a bit of routing, i routed throttle cable under the tank.

4. UJMan

UJMan New Member

I, too, have been looking into the LSL handlebar kit. I read from BASFjon that the street high bar is even more upright than the superbike low bar the kit comes with. Because of this, the guys at my local dealer assume that I would need to order custom cables (or ST1100, 1300 specific cables), which would significantly add to the cost of the kit. Such a BIG investment has me wondering if I would be better selling my 2003 VFR and getting an FJR or other similar upright ST. I'm beginning to get desperate at this point, as I can only handle about 15 minutes on my bike (with helibars) before my low back is aching and my right hand is numb.

5. geforce

geforce New Member

I did about 1000+ miles a day with my setup and i could have done another 500. About 16-17hours of riding.

6. geforce

geforce New Member

Also for the right hand numbness problem, I got me a foam slip-on for grips. They go over top of existing grips and also cramp-buster. Total cost $21 via amzn.

With Renthal bar and crampbuster throttle control, I am really just sitting very comfortably on the sargent seat. My VFR is a solid touring bike now

7. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Great job on the handle bar upgrade. Your picture shows the bars on without the windscreen. How is the full left and full right clearance between the master cylinders and the windscreen?

As far as the numbness in your hands, forget all of the gimmicks, without a throttle lock or electronic cruise control the best thing that you can do is to exercise. Strengthening your core and removing your body weight from the hands will go a long way to removing the numbness in the hands and remove much of the pressure on the shoulders. It will also improve many different aspects of your general ride.

8. geforce

geforce New Member

Thanks!. Clutch master clears barely, but brake master rubs a bit at full lock. I am going to get another half inch or so of Al block and raise the bar up so I can pull it backward little more.

9. geforce

geforce New Member

Funny how karma plays out. I ordered LSL clamps today to get better quality finish out of this project. My $150 setup used quite a bit of aluminum shimmies and they look like crap from riding position.