Fork Spring Identificiaton

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Hingley, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    I pulled the forks off the 90 today to install tapered stem bearings and service the front forks. When I pulled the fork springs I found there was no spacer and the springs were still long enough to be to the top of the damping rod. Is there a way to determine who made these fork springs?, I looked for some kind of manufacturing markings but I do not see any.
    If I can not find out the manufacture how do I find out the proper amount of fork oil to put into the forks?
    Thanks

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The fork oil level is specified in the manual and should be set springs out, forks fully compressed, with the cartridge primed to expel air. The stock level for a Canadian 90 is 187mm from the fork top to the oil surface. Race tech specify 120mm, which is quite a difference, smaller air gap = more progressive air-spring effect when compressed, to go with their straight rate springs. Your long springs would probably be Progressive Suspension at a guess, and for those I'd suggest the stock oil level as the spring itself will be progressively wound (tight coils transitioning to wider coils) so the air-gap could be larger.

3. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Thanks for the reply, it has been years since I changed the fork oil on a bike and at that time they were a whole lot easier to work on, your few words make more since then the manual

4. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Taking the forks apart is really easy on your model compared to modern sport bike forks. . Just follow the manual, take your time, and you'll have no problems.