Finally Got a VFR, but fearing I made a mistake

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by headshrink, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Africord

Africord New Member

United States
    Map
    I just read through this whole thread, and I know its a few months old, but I'd like to offer some thoughts. I also came from a Ninja 250 to a VFR. For me, the transition was from a 2007 Ninja with a small rider triangle and 1-inch risers to a 6th Gen VFR. I moved from the Ninja to tackle longer distances, which also required more of me from a conditioning standpoint. But to make it work for me, I have 1-inch GenMar risers, lowered pegs (Buell Ulysses), and a Rick Mayer seat. Rick is out of business, and Buell parts are scarce, but you get the idea. The result is that I have been on the bike for 8 years, and logged 40,000 miles. I also turn 60 this year. No one should tell you what you should do, but I think we owe to you to tell you what can be done based on our own experiences. Again, YMMV.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I thought Randy just got a Rick Mayer seat. Hmm, must've been someone else who uses their name as the seat name. It seems like it was one of those firstname lastname deals, though not like Sargent or Corbin, someone that does them custom like Rick did.

3. Africord

Africord New Member

United States
    Map
    Bill Mayer (BMS) is still in operation. It's run by Bill's son, Rocky. Rick was another son, and quick Google research seems to show that Rick went out of business in 2015.

4. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Bill Mayer Saddles - I wasn't familiar with BMS, they look like they may be one of the better options out there, albeit more expensive. Too bad I don't live in SoCal anymore, as it's always preferable to go down in person. Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone here have a Corbin or Sargent seat for an 8th Gen? I can't find it (8th gen) on Sargent's site, and Corbin only lists the banana-style.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  5. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    Headshrink, I've been commuting on my 6th Gen for years. Taken it on long trips. Sport rides too. I took it on a long trip using a Mach 3 OGIO backpack too.

The ONE thing that has alleviated 90% of the fatigue I feel from riding sportbikes: being healthy and having a relatively strong core (midsection and upper body). I do push ups, lift some dumb bells, a few crunches, all on a regular basis. I'm by no means a ripped athlete (I'm 51 years old). But I do weigh within my normal BMI range and have a healthy back. Riding ANY bike is physical and the VFR800 is just a comfortable sport bike. Meaning compared to a sport bike it's comfortable. So instead of spending a lot of money adopting your bike to you, first get healthy. It pays off not only when you ride but with your whole life.

Having said the above, I used to be unhealthy and overweight as well. I still rode my VFR. But it got exhausting after long rides (not commutes). After I got healthy, it took way less energy to ride and therefore my body was a whole lot less sore or exhausted after a long ride.

James Bond and Thumbs like this.
  6. Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed on the physical fitness.
    I have an '86 VFR750, but it has been in an owner-induced coma for about 20 year (egad).
    Recently, I bought a '97 VFR (yep, I have 750 VFR bookends) and have been commuting (26 miles one-way) for a month or so.
    It really feels like putting on a familiar coat/shoe. No issues even though I am in no way the shape I was 20 years ago. Surprise.
    I've done a few twisty bits, not much, but the '97 feels heavier (it is) probably because of the 16" vs 17" wheel.
    Still, no issues, stock seat, 1" bar risers. 6'2" 225 lbs.
    Yes, I've also 'sampled' other rides, but the VFR is my favorite all-around bike (hmmm, not sure I have found the upper limit at "2"...).
    I started (way back) with a CB750, so a bit bigger/heavier than a Ninja 250, but take it slow and work up to the 750's envelope. I have ridden a VFR250 (egad) though.
    Agreed that the gear-drive V4 is a superb engine. Why don't they build a new 750 !?!? Dang.
    Brian

7. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    The OEM seat hurt me too. I tried a Sargent but that was wrong as well. I was just about ready to buy a Corbin when someone suggested a custom saddle. That was good advice. I made an appointment with a saddlemaker for a custom seat. It's perfect for me.

8. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Do you remember and can you describe what exactly was wrong with the Sargent seat?
    It's too bad bike isn't an 8th gen, because I'd offer to buy the Sargent from you to give it a try.

9. HotPursuit

HotPursuit New Member

United States
    Map
    If It hasn't already been said...

For comfort, get tank pads, and squeeze with your legs. Your wrists will thank you.

As far as the seat goes, I use an Airhawk on the stock seat, and it helps immensely.

Also, Grip Puppies.

I bought my 6th gen with Heli bars already installed. Between those and the above listed comfort items, I can ride all day without any lingering pain. Maybe some slight soreness in my thighs. I have a magnetic tank bag that I'll lay on sometimes, too.

For context, I find my Interceptor more comfortable than my Magna with a plush Mustang seat and highway bars. My wife still prefers the Magna. ;)

Switching from a cruiser to a "sport" bike, the hardest (and most helpful) adjustment for me was learning to hold myself up with my legs.
    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States

I've got the motopump blocks on mine, but what I really need is to have them a bot closer to me, which I don't think can be easily done on the 8th gen.... maybe I'm wrong.

I don't have an issue with vibrations in my bars, but what I do find is that I'm constantly readjusting my throttle. Although bar position may play a minor part, I suspect part of the issue is the throttle return spring is a lot stronger than my other bikes. In order to keep it from slowly slipping in my glove I have to grip it uncomfortably tight, or put a little weight on it, both of which are improper. Wonder if those grip puppies would help? Hopefully they wouldn't interfere with the heated grips! Would it be weird to have it only on the throttle side?

11. HotPursuit

HotPursuit New Member

United States
    Map
    I know there are some straight bar conversion kits for the 6th gen interceptors, I'd hazard a guess some exist for the 8th gens too.

I got the Grip Puppies because my hands (especially my right hand) would get really bad cramps, due to the skinny bar. I was spoiled by fat cruiser hand grips. They fit over your existing grips, but, I don't know how well heat will permeate through them. I use heated gloves instead of heated grips.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I'm getting hand cramps on this one too, so I might just give them a try.

E: What happens when they get wet? Do they hold water?

13. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Not really. I've had puppies on all my VFRs because I have man sized hands and they help with the feel. I rode every day during the 09 rainy season and they never slipped or felt soggy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I find myself also sometimes moving my throttle hand outwards until it partially covering the bar-end. I'm not sure why, but it seems to help keep the throttle from slipping.... may it's because that part doesn't rotate, or maybe it has to do with the angle of the bar - who knows.

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I did use one of those crampbusters for a while, but eventually I took it off. I don't remember why, but I do remember accidentally bumping it once or twice when I first got it and popping a wheelie.

16. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I've been using the Grip Puppies for the past few weeks. Well, actually just one Puppy (throttle only). It does help my cramping, but I think a big part of that is because the material doesn't slip as easily on my glove, so I can hold it lightly. I wasn't prepared for just how thick it makes the overall grip! Although I'm slowly getting used to it, I feel I don't have as fine control from off-throttle, but it's fine once I'm moving.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  17. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Couldn't have said it better. A VFR is one of the most comfortable bikes out there considering what it is capable of doing. Ridden properly, upper body strength doesn't need to be extraordinary. Core strength and a healthy BMI does count. In reading this thread, it does sound like the VFR is a mistake for the OP. A rider should be in good health when riding ANY motorcycle.

Zeta likes this.
  18. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You do Sigmund Freud a disservice, why post his picture?

19. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    In reading through this tread, I have to wonder what, exactly, the OP's expectations are in riding any kind of motorcycle. There seems to be no ability to adapt to anything concerned with what the bike is. What, exactly, is going to make this OP "comfortable" with the bike? Perhaps it would be better for him to stay off motorcycles until this is determined, if possible. I think the OP is playing on this thread.

20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    My 6th gen. got well over 40 mpg when not using the throttle much and down to 38mpg when getting all over the throttle in twisties. I've never heard of anyone being concerned about VFR mpg. 38 or 45? Who cares? It's just a cost of having fun.....

Thumbs likes this.