Drilled baffles

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by highway star, May 18, 2018.

1. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    So, I bought another oem set of exhaust to drill the baffles. Used a 12" locking extension and a 5/8" counter sink. First I drilled a hole with a 12" drill bit then opened it up with the counter sink. On the curved outlets I put one hole and in the straight outlets I put 3 holes each. The sound is a nice rumble. Not too loud but louder than stock. I may add or enlarge the holes for louder sound. Very easy mod that can be done with the pipes still attached. Bought the pipes for $120.00 and the bits around $25.00. I used my heat shields as they are a brushed/dull finish because the donors were shiny chrome finish, just keeping it original appearance. Bike is now mentally faster!

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Contrary to what you've read, loud pipes do not save lives. They just piss people off. A little
    rumble is good, but don't be like the Harley guys and make noise just to be making noise. Be
    considerate of your neighbors and other people who will be beside you and think you're
    a representation of all bikes.

RllwJoe likes this.
  3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I concur (agree)! Loud bikes and cars (including sterio thump) irritate me. Man,.... I'm getting old.

squirrelman likes this.
  4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Strangely enough, I'm in the process of making all my bikes louder .... lol
    In London you need all the help you can get because they just don't give a hoot & would rather not look ..

I'm also not talking Harley loud just end cans..

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    But most of the time, all the noise is out the back. Very few people in front of you will even be aware of it, and
    those are the ones to be concerned with.

6. Turkish rider

Turkish rider New Member

Turkey
    Map
    I actually think the standard VFR exhaust rumble could be pepped up a shade, add a bit of charisma to the bike. Seriously considering investing in a set of Delkovic pipes for the back, anyone had much experience with that setup?

In Turkey everything and everyone is loud so no one is going to get upset with a noisy bike, besides I like that !

7. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I agree completely, Honda went a bit too far with the OEM silencer.

And yes, the OEM silencer goes way too far toward cancelling out the VFR's very charismatic exhaust rumble. I recently purchased an older Vance & Hines S4 exhaust can. I refurbished it by re-packing the internal fiberglass and replacing the old, messed up hanging bracket with a nice Two Brothers bracket.

Now the bike sounds wonderful, at its 1,200 RPM idle you can actually hear the VFR's great uneven firing order (1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-repeat). So it's a bit louder and sharper sounding at idle but not too loud at cruising RPMs (5,000-7,000). It is a pretty good bit louder at full throttle, high RPMs. On the whole, just what I wanted in a replacement VFR800 exhaust canister.

8. Justin Robichaud

Justin Robichaud New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've drilled out my end caps for the baffle bypass and I love it. I get compliments all the time on how good it sounds. It's not obnoxious Harley loud but it's better than the stock whisper.

proper likes this.