5th Gen Power band question

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by bikehikeflyCO, Feb 2, 2015.

1. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I know that on some of the newer, VTEC bikes there is an issue with the power band around 4000k and the lack of power. Is this also an issue on the 5th generation as well? I have a 2000 and around 4000k-5000k the acceleration seems pretty lackluster. Thanks!

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Hard to say, certainly the gen 5 is no torque monster at 4 to 5k but should be fine for calm cruising in any gear. With a 12k redline the power curve is quite linear with good power available above 7k this is also one of the reasons it's so "fall off a log" easy to ride fast P to P.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Mine rarely drops bellow 5000, I have no problems above that.
    Don't forget, it is still a four cylinder.
    I've found that I now don't rev it as hard as I used to, not because I'm slower, the other way around.
    I just now carry a much higher entry speed into a corner than I used to.
    The beauty of replacing all the stock suspension.

4. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer New Member

My 98 turns into a whole different monster above 6K and between 10K-12.5K its in a whole different bandwidth... I do have a PC3 that helps with the power delivery and gives me an extra 500 revs... Below 6K she is a pussycat!!!

5. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    This is my first sport style bike; I came from a Vstar650 cruiser, so this is a whole different beast for me. I usually cruise around with the RPMs around 4500-5500 and then at 5500 I tend to shift. I know that I am not using the bike to its full potential, but I am still learning with it as well. Was just curious if this "bogging down" was normal or I needed to get it looked at.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, not to be a dick, but try riding it at higher RPMs and see if it still feels lackluster. Even though its a torquey V4, she's still a heavy pig.

I always felt the best cruising speed, even around town was about 4-5K. For spirited riding, it's 5500 up. For those days on the twisties and being a hooligan, the only time it drops below 6K is when we're coming to a stop.

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The 6th Gen definitely has lean / fueling issues in the lower RPM that is fixed with a Power Commander. I bet the same is true for the 5th Gen. Get a Power Commander for it and maybe add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket to get the result you're looking for.

8. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    Riding at high RPM it feels fine, it is just between 4000-5000 that I am having the issue. When I am riding the canyons I keep it about 5500, but since it is winter in Colorado the canyons are a bit icy right now so it have been mainly riding around town and crusing around 4500-5000.

9. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I will check in to a power commander some time towards the summer when I will have a little extra spending cash; going back to school means the money goes there first.

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The fueling on my stock catless '99 Gen 5 is very good with off idle improved after the SVs were balanced and certainly far better than my previous '03 build gen 6 was. Unsure about the '00 Gen 5 mk2 as they introduced the cat and O2 sensors that year.