2011 VFR Crossrunner (800)

Discussion in 'Crossrunner' started by betarace, Nov 2, 2010.

1. honda1964

honda1964 New Member

Hi All

Based in Scotland,

Well I have owned a 2009 VFR 800, I now own a VFR1200 which I purchased last April.

I had a shot of the Crossrunner whilst the 1200 was in for a service.

I was pleasantly surprised, light and flickable, The VTEC was not an issue but then I never thought it was but I also agree the bike does not need it.

I did not like the LCD speedo and cockpit area but other than that I had quite a blast on it. The only negative point is the price but you could say that about all VFR's.

Is it a VFR, yes, it has the engine and that is the centre point to what we love about these bikes.

So if you are going to get a Crossrunner, enjoy, I thought it was a very good usable practical all rounder.:biggrin:

Ps - If they make a 1200 version I think it could be a real Gem.

2. Papistaicu

Papistaicu New Member

Map
    Yeah!!! Thanks for the feedback. If and when i see it i will look to this. Hey i think there was a prototype in a europe show of a 1200vfr Crosstourer somthing like this. Look into it. It may have been way too expensive. Imagine DCT and all!?

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting that the mags report a Hornet with DCT. That's pretty cool!

4. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

I have now completed the 1st 1000 miles on mine and I'm still more than happy with it. I find it very comfortable with the taller screen fitted. The fuel consumption has been very good as when I'm in touring mode I get ot into the low 50s MPG (imperial) and mid 40s on the motorway. Even with the luggage it is still very agile and good at filtering in traffic. Unfourtuneately due to my wife only recently coming out of hospital we missed out on our trip to Scotland & The Lake District so I can't really comment on it's comfort on longer trips. the longest I have done so far being around 250 miles. Hopefully if it ever stops raining I will get a load more miles in. I'm sure that Jose will also give us updates on his bike

5. jose

jose New Member

Map
    Hi, as I said here, I went to Faro in this weekend (~300km's) and I loved the trip with the Honda VFR800X Crossrunner. The bike did 6,3L/100km with two and bagage (2X80kg+15kg), at ~120/140/160 km/h in highway to Faro and ~90/120 km/h to Lisbon at normal road in the coast (nice road with a lot of beauty roads :) ).
    In trafic the bike is very very good and consumes about 6,5L/100km (going to work about 23km), but if I go slowly (like today) the bike does 5,3L.
    So the bike for the normal use I make donĀ“t consume a lot, but at Friday before going to Faro I did some ride at Cabo da Roca (coastal roads at mountain) and the consumption triggers to 10L/100 or more lol, but here I make some sporty driving.
    About security the bike is very very very good, no doubt about that. Brakes tires and chassis are very very good.
    So..., and the engine is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And when the VTEC starts you enter in a new world :smile:
    This is my first impression of the bike, and i'm loving a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))))))))
    5 photos (mobile phone), in Cabo da Roca, Faro, Lisbon and Beach Galapos in Setubal.
    Enjoy!!!! :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome! I like the black a lot better then the red! :cheersaf:

7. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

How about the White? Or even as I had to live with for a short while White with Red luggage. this was because Honda UK had no white sets in stock. The dealer lent me the set destined for his demo bike. I now have the correct white ones fiited

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you cut off the ugly bird beak yet?
    This is one bike you will never want to look at your reflection in store windows.
    This bike hurts my eyes. It's just too frickin ugly!
    Hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and
    I don't see any beauty whatsoever in this bike. Plaza, the designer, has zero taste
    in aesthetics. One reason, in my opinion, why bike sales are down is that buyer's
    want good looking bikes AND performance. And, why in hell did Honda include vtec
    when the majority don't want it? . . . because Ray Blank, Marketing Manager in
    Torrance, California has his head up his ass!

9. jose

jose New Member

Map
    LOL

Did you have seen the bike alive?

10. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

If you like I can recommend a good optican for you :) :)
    Seriously no offence taken I can only say I didn't buy it to look at but to enjoy riding it and I'm certainly doing that

11. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 6th G VFR - which is this bike with different trim.

The Crossrunner 800 is not a trend-setting motorcycle. It is Honda standing pat on the VFR 6th Gen technology but changing up the ergos and trim to mimic the BMW GS*** bikes. Hence, The Beak and The Look.

I find the Crossrunner no uglier than a GS1200. The Crossrunner is a bit long in the tooth technologically and it is way down on HP, but once you iron out the VTEC kink and fix up the suspension I bet you will find it is one of the smoothest motorcycles on the planet! If it's like mine, it is very easy to ride well. My bike's characteristics made me a better rider.

Beauty isn't everything.

That said, I think my bike is much prettier, but different strokes . . . .

12. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

I tried the VFR 800 which is still available new over here. Whilst I agree that it is prettier I found the same comfort (especially for my left knee) problems that I did with my VFR1200 DCT. As to the VTEC it has been modified to give a smoother transition. all the road test reports agree with this

13. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    ... Smack Doogle ...

I own a 2011 Ninja 1000. It IS a better bike than the VFR 800, but you don't get that awesome V-4 exhaust note though.

I hope that this new POS Crossrunner (sounds like a name for a training bra) doesn't make it to the USA. Honestly, it's heavy and not well thought out. I can imagine it's gonna sell for about $14k US probably and just like the POS VFR 1200 it won't even come with hard bags for that inflated pricetag.

I bought the Ninja 1000 because it's what a lot of us VFR 800 owners have been expressing that we want from Honda out of the next gen VFR 800. But Honda is deaf. Kawasaki must have been eavesdropping because the bike we asked for is now available - from Kawasaki.

The Ninja 1000 has fully adjustable front suspension, 3-way adjustable on the fly windscreen (that btw works very well in any position), more upright ergos than the VFR with bar risers, a comfy seat, hard cases and heated grips available (got it on mine), and a price that fits in the real world. I found mine on sale for $8,298.00! With the Givi/Kawasaki bags and heated grips I got the bike OTD for less than the bike itself would have cost me at an MSRP of $11K. OTD for me was $11,240.00!

Lots more power at ANY rev than the VFR 800. Way more flickable as well. No surging problems in stock configuration. I am betting it'll spank the VFR 1200 as well in the twisties. It'll damn sure leave a VFR 1200 in my mirrors from a dead stop.

I called the VFR 1200 a POS back when I first sat on it and my jaw dropped at the pricetag. I now see them sitting in showrooms. Not just one but two of them side by side. $15k for the VFR 1200 and not even heated grips or hard cases??? REALLY??? What are we gonna pay for this next Honda phenom? I mean, what will they think we'll pay? Either way, they're nuts. This Crossrunner will join the elite ranks of the DN-01 and the NT700V. Get out your feather dusters Honda.

You couldn't do as you were asked and just fix the VFR 800 a bit. You have to come out and totally bastardize a concept. Nice going.

I loved my 2006 VFR, even for all it's 'flaws'. Just a superb bike. I bought the Ninja because I was hit by a cager and my VFR was totaled. The Ninja is about the same curb weight as the VFR, but if you sit on it and ride it you'd swear the Ninja 1000 weighed 100lbs less! It's that much better. I don't regret the purchase at all. But my old Viffer still holds a place deep in my heart. Just pure character alone endears you to the VFR. Then you start the plastic surgery...lol.

Whoever buys a Crossrunner I wish you well. I am sure it'll have the famous Honda build quality. But it'll also have the inflated Honda ego-pricing. The VFR 800 was no bargain either. I just found mine at a bargain price I couldn't refuse. Just like I did my new Ninja 1000.

If I was looking for a dual sport and knew I was going to spend a wad of cash for it. I'd get what my brother got - a BMW R1200GS Adventure. If I wanted to save a few bucks? I'd buy a Suzuki Vstrom 1000. i owned a 650 version and they both sit the same. You can bag out the Zuki 1000 for less than $11k US. Tons of aftermarket for the Vstrom too.

Why the F*** would you put the exhaust so low on a supposed dual sport? Even BMW is guilty of that. The Vstrom has high exhaust. it's actually well thought out. Tons of Ad-Riders own the Vstrom. They didn't go broke farkling them out either.

14. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
  15. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    LOL... troll. Kawasaki nails a crap fairing to their mediocre Z1000 and it's the second coming of Christ. It's so perfect that they need a $3000.00 discount to move them. And the VFR1200 is a POS because you sat on one and can't afford it.

Enjoy your bike.

16. Papistaicu

Papistaicu New Member

Map
    Appreciate the comments. I havent tried the Kawi, but everything i like about the my bike and the new Crossrunner bike starts around the engine, the sound and the quality. My 800 has 70000 miles and runs like it was new. I think i may hit 100000 and then decide to rebuild it, if it needs it. I know Hondas arent cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've never had a Honda leave me stranded, yet. BMW has done this to me too many times. This was on what i consider one of the best bikes BMW offered at the time the R65 and old R series. I dont expect I will take the gamble on the Kawi for the long haul. I've seen what happens to most Kawis after some years and mileage. Write me when you have my same mileage on your bike. As my weekend flier, overnighter and daily commuter this bike does everything well. I suspect the new version does the same. Tell me more about how much money you spent to maintain you Kawi, after 13 years. Besides oil and regular services, a stem bearing from age I've yet to invest money in anything but things like Staintune, Heli, Throttle Meister, and Givi. God bless you, good luck on yours. You may want to stop listening to Rider Magazine like its the Big Book and listen to real experiences, it may bring out what you really need to hear.

17. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

In the UK the VFR 1200 comes with panniers & topbox included. It also comes with something none of the Kawasakis I have ever owned (and I've owned quite a few) has which is quality!!
    There are plenty of VFR1200s to be seen on the roads of the UK. If it wasn't for my knee problem I would still have mine. Having said that I'm loving my Crossrunner

18. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Was looking forward to trying out the big Ks new 1000SX but like Yamaha's Fz1S I find the bolt upright riding position uncomfortable over distance preferring the plug in slight lean forward perfection I have with the standard VFR800's ergos, of course I'd also miss the VFRs magic sounding V4 if I'd traded it so didn't.

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Funny shit/as good as honda is I have been stuck on them.

20. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    There is nothing new here...we all like motorcycles. We are all very particular. We all have opinions about basic levels of quality, value, and design for the various manufacturers. No one bike or brand can make everyone happy. Just because someone loves or hates a specific bike doesn't really change YOUR reality or your opinions. Don't take other people's likes and opinions so seriously.

Do you love your bike? Great!

I really like my old bikes. I really like my current bikes. We would all benefit from being happy when one of our fellow members is happy.

There are much more important things to rail about...like the current state of the rest of the world.